Air cleaner snorkel - why is it installed at an angle?

edbods

Reaction score
Random question but why is the air intake snorkel on a lot of older cars always installed at an angle relative to where the car is pointing? I noticed that the air cleaner on mine has 'FRONT' stamped on it and that results in the snorkel on it being off to the left of the car. Was there ever any technical explanation for not just pointing the snorkel straight at the front? I'm suddenly very curious about this haha

I always liked them pointed "to the side" rather than "straight on" to the radiator, personally.

I think the "angle" may also be more of a cosmetic orientation. If the engine is on a stand at a car show, the casual visitor will not be prone to look right into the snorkel and see the air filter (or the flow deflector that Chrysler Corp used).

"FRONT" is there, near the clearance inset for the factory a/c compressor, to ensure things "look the right way", as the factory intended with the factory a/c option or otherwise. IF it is clocked much differently, it just does not look right. On some air cleaner parts, "FRONT" can also be found 180 degrees away from the front side of things, too. Buick used a sticker in the shape of an arrow on some applications, with the arrow pointing to the center of the radiator?

On our '66 Newport 383 2bbl, I slightly rotated the air cleaner so that the snorkel was aimed to get more of the air coming through the radiator. Possibly for a bit of "ram air" at highway speeds and a bit quicker warm-up in cold weather? I could tell no difference, but felt it should help a bit. Otherwise, it should have been getting normal under hood air.

Seems like a few car brands had air cleaner snorkels which were pointing to the center of the radiator? Those engines didn't have the flair of engines which had the "clocked" snorkels. Plus the front of the carburetor was also exposed. Carburetors were usually not a stylized part of the engine, nor the fuel lines going to it, BUT with a little spiffing-up, could look very good.

When the industry transitioned into dry filter air cleaner housing, the new air cleaners gave the OEMs an opportunity to stylize the under hood area better. Whether it be different colors for valve covers and air cleaners (Ford), size/number/configuration of snorkels, engine name ornamentation, or whatever, it was ALL about styling and "look" that was related to the level of the carline or any performance aspirations/indications for the particular engine.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Maybe because at high speeds on the Interstate in inclement weather like heavy rain, less of a chance of water or very moist air going directly into the snorkel, then air filter... and as we all know a wet paper air filter becomes very restrictive.
Same goes for driving down a dusty dirt road behind other vehicles, you wouldn't believe the minute crap that gets through the radiator fins and other air passageways. Example: dried salt on the front of the air cleaner housing that leads to that tell tale giveaway high mileage rash. Winter sandy Interstates with heavy urban traffic in dry conditions is a ripe environment for grit to enter the engine compartment, just ride a motorcycle long distant with a open face helmet in the spring on urban Interstates before the spring rains has washed all the sand away, you'll soon realize this.

On my '66 Newport with factory AC, the air cleaner is marked "FRONT" so that the divot in the air cleaning housing matches the bulge of the AC compressor, and the snorkel itself sits between the radiator hose and compressor, at a slight angle. There's no way to make the snorkel "face front" without it hitting things . . .

Good points, hadn't even thought about clearance for ancillaries. On a side note, I wouldn't mind a dual-snorkel intake for a 4 bbl, mine currently only has a single snorkel on a 2 bbl but looking to convert it.

might be less prone to inhale the hot air that that just went through the radiator and perhaps less dust and dirt as well?

Back