Ammeter Access

GSPointer

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a 65 Imperial whose red wire from the starter relay through the bulkhead connector and all the way to the ammeter is melted. For the life of me, I can not see how to gain access to or even see the ammeter wiring connections.

After removing many screws I got the Cluster loose in its opening but it will not pull rearward or rotate to remove it or access the wiring without potential damage. The service manual has no images but the words seem to imply removal of the IP's entire 1st surface trim panel is required?

I hope there is a trick or a way that I am just not seeing?

Ammeter.jpg

Make sure the speedometer cable and main harness are removed first, not sure about the Imperial but on other cars that is what is needed. Lowering the column may also allow you to manipulate the cluster some to aid access.

Alan

on my 68 linkage needs to be unbolted between the column and the PRNDL needle in the cluster...idk if you have something similar

I was only able to get my cluster out on my ‘68 300 after lowering column a couple of inches. Still needed some careful maneuvering, but I was successful.

Other times I needed to access the backside of the cluster I pulled out the front driver seat and did some ‘car yoga’ flat on my back under the dash.

Back