Another Disc brake question.

WOT440

Reaction score
Good morning, all. I'm considering doing a Scarebird front disc brake conversion on my 68 Newport. I have recently, within the last two years had my brake booster rebuilt,
(booster Dewey). It has less than 1k miles on it.
My question is...is it absolutely necessary to use a disc brake booster for this conversion? Has anyone used a drum brake booster with disc brake set up with success?
TIA. Appreciate all suggestions and opinions.

1965-72 Plymouth, Dodge C-Body full size front disc

Save yourself some grief and get the dual diaphragm booster when you install front discs. Here is the reason. Drum brakes require about 400 PSI and that is about all you can get from your single diaphragm booster. Discs require almost 900 PSI. Chrysler fixed this problem for us when they started using front discs.
Oh, and don't forget the proportioning valve either. There are tons of threads on this site dealing with this very problem.
I tried using my newly rebuilt drum booster just like you are planning. It will stop the car but I can guarantee you won't be happy with it.

Save yourself some grief and get the dual diaphragm booster when you install front discs. Here is the reason. Drum brakes require about 400 PSI and that is about all you can get from your single diaphragm booster. Discs require almost 900 PSI. Chrysler fixed this problem for us when they started using front discs.
Oh, and don't forget the proportioning valve either. There are tons of threads on this site dealing with this very problem.
I tried using my newly rebuilt drum booster just like you are planning. It will stop the car but I can guarantee you won't be happy with it.
Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Back