Another Newbie. . .

Ripinator

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Hello to everyone ! I've been lurking here and enjoying the banter for quite a while, and thought I should make it official and register.

Although I have and have had other marques, I've been a Mopar fan since I was twelve years old. I'm currently on a quest for a '65 Chrysler 300-L.

There appears to be many knowledgeable people here, as regards C-bodies, so I'm hoping that when the time comes, maybe you all can help me find answers to my questions, and hopefully, I can contrbute in some way too.

Rip

Welcome to the site from the Motor City!

You're on the right track Rip. Welcome BTW. Shoot me a P.M. with an e-address and I'll hook you up with the Membership Chairman and Treasurer of the 300 Club. She and her husband live on the other side of Baltimore from you in Jappa. If you're serious about an "L" you really need to be member there too. Too bad you didn't bump into the 300 canopy at Carlisle ah few weeks ago. You'd probably be a prowd owner by now of the last of the original letters! Jer

Welcome; what body style of the 300 L are you looking for ?
The later cars lost a bit of the exclusivety compared to earlier letter cars when they started the Sport 300 series but I like the L-model, especially prefer them over the 63-64 model years.

Last edited:
Welcome good luck finding 300 I think I would take just about any year, the 63, 64 takes a while to grow on you IMO

BigBarney:

Thank you for the offer to hook me up, but I've been a member of both 300 clubs for about three years now. Also, I was at Carlisle, and I did hang a little while at the 300 Club, Intl. tent. I saw the most exqusite 58 300-D there I have ever seen. Tahitian Coral paint, factory front and rear AC and the quietest solid lifters I ever heard. The car was better than factory-new condition.

As regards my quest for an 'L', I have seen a few cars that were good candidates, but mostly they were project cars that required both a place store and a place to work on them. I won't be ready for that until my 24' X 40' Garage Mahal project is finished - hopefully, early next year.

Another thing I have learned during the last couple of years is that it is a lot easier to buy one of these cars than it is to sell one. I think that when I'm ready to get serious in the Spring, there should be some 'L's available.

Rip

You're on the right track Rip. Welcome BTW. Shoot me a P.M. with an e-address and I'll hook you up with the Membership Chairman and Treasurer of the 300 Club. She and her husband live on the other side of Baltimore from you in Jappa. If you're serious about an "L" you really need to be member there too. Too bad you didn't bump into the 300 canopy at Carlisle ah few weeks ago. You'd probably be a prowd owner by now of the last of the original letters! Jer

CM: I am hoping to find an 'L' convertible with AC, but a hard top would be OK too. Some months ago, I checked out an 'L' convertible owned by a gentleman in New England (Black car with red interior AND a 4-speed, 19k miles. . . owner claims the car is "one of two"). Talked to him a while to get a feel for his price and learned he had $60K in the car. . . So, that just wasn't a deal I could make. Its been a year since I talked to him; the car is still for sale.

I agree the '63/'64 and later letter cars do not have the panache of the earlier cars, but I feel the later cars are really the 'best' cars, because they are newer, handle better and in the case of the '65, there are more parts available - even at NAPA.

And yes, the '63 and '64s do hafta grow on you. One of those in a black convertible with a contrasting interior color is almost good looking.

Welcome; what body style of the 300 L are you looking for ?
The later cars lost a bit of the exclusivety compared to earlier letter cars when they started the Sport 300 series but I like the L-model, especially prefer them over the 63-64 model years.

Stan: This is really funny. . .

I looked at this car last Sunday morning. I was interested in it because of the claimed low mileage, and I was hoping it could be made driveable pretty quickly. Turns out the car is solid - no rust issues, but it doesn't run, and it would need a lot of work on the brakes, suspension, maybe the motor (couldn't turn the motor over via the belts) and the transmission. Judging by the wear on the pedals and condition of the chrome and brightwork, the car has at least 137K on it - if not 237K. Also, the owner(s) are clueless regarding cars in general and as to the car's value along with what it would take to make the car saleable at $11K. I told them it was a no. 4 car right now (maybe a marginal no.3), but that it could be made into a no. 2 car if they threw about $10K at it. The car is really a $2k to $3k car - not an $11K car. . . I suggested that since they have no money in the car, they should restore it to driver condition and keep it in honor of the deceased grandfather who owned the car previously.

Damn. . . Its a small world. . .

Back