Autotemp 2 .help needed

ruudschil

Reaction score
Hey guys.
My 74 town and country i just got didnt have any heat comming in. Quickly fount that thee heater core was disconected from the coolant system ,so that was an easy fix.
But now ofcourse i cant get ridd of the heat.

Now i think trying to work out the full autotemp 2 system( climate control) is going to be a time consuming battle.
I wonder if anyone worked a way around it and get it to work manualy in some way.
Heat on/ of
Blowing wind on the windscreen to defrost would be already great.
Anyone got tips?

Regardes ruud from holland

The underhood controller was also used by Mercedes. IF you need that. Should be in the aftermarket, I suspect? I know it used to be.

Go to www.mymopar.com and look in the Chrysler MasterTech video area for a segment on the AutoTemp II system. That might help you understand it better.

CBODY67

He said 74 Chrysler...the Mercedes underhood controller is the Fuselage system...will not cross over easily to the Formal.

Usually a heater core is disconnected because it's leaking inside the car, so watch for that. Is your controller still connected? The piece with four coolant lines and a dozen or so vacuum lines. If so, it's not working.

Disconnect the coolant lines, connect two straight together and the other two with a valve in-between. Any valve will work, but you'll have to pop the hood. You may be able to find a cable actuated one you can control from inside the car.

He said 74 Chrysler...the Mercedes underhood controller is the Fuselage system...will not cross over easily to the Formal.

I didn't realize that, knowing that may have influenced my response. However, he also said "autotemp ||." Which is what 71-73 fuselages came with, hopefully they worked out some kinks with the '74+ version.

Apparently there’s an Auto temp II version on 74-78. It’s referenced here:

Auto temp 1-2

Autotemp II, version 2.0, oh no! The road to success is always under construction. Thirty years later, they nailed it! Even have dual climate control and what not these days. Mercedes really made a major step forward in butt crack cooling when they introduced their perforated upholstery with fans underneath. Who knows what's next?

In looking through the referenced thread, it is mentioned the ATC II+ system can be converted to manual a/c. Is this because the basic hvac module is the same and just needs the control system to be changed to "manual"? With a new inst panel control and related vac lines to the actuators?

Just curious,
CBODY67

In looking through the referenced thread, it is mentioned the ATC II+ system can be converted to manual a/c. Is this because the basic hvac module is the same and just needs the control system to be changed to "manual"? With a new inst panel control and related vac lines to the actuators?

Just curious,
CBODY67
I was kindof thinking that aswel.
Seen a liittle machaninic clinic clip from back in the day mentioning that.
But now figuring out how exactly

Usually a heater core is disconnected because it's leaking inside the car, so watch for that. Is your controller still connected? The piece with four coolant lines and a dozen or so vacuum lines. If so, it's not working.

Disconnect the coolant lines, connect two straight together and the other two with a valve in-between. Any valve will work, but you'll have to pop the hood. You may be able to find a cable actuated one you can control from inside the car.
I think my controler is gone. So where the hoses to the heater core, so i replaced those but there now a direct conection to the core.
Btw it runs on propane so might look diferent.
But the bleu hoses go to the core

20241016_175250.jpg

Check out: Intermittent or No Cabin Heat - First Generation Climate Control | Climate Control Problem | MercedesSource.com
Mercedes had used the Chrysler autotemp. This guy does a great troubleshooting video that is helpful to all autotemp chrysler owners as well.
Back in the day, I busted two of the autotemp units (the part where the heater hoses went through.) as a teen. It seems that in our '71 chrysler, high revs would do something to the cooling system and steam would get in the autotemp unit and crack the bottom of it. Even back then it was an expensive fix.

Check out: Intermittent or No Cabin Heat - First Generation Climate Control | Climate Control Problem | MercedesSource.com
Mercedes had used the Chrysler autotemp. This guy does a great troubleshooting video that is helpful to all autotemp chrysler owners as well.
Back in the day, I busted two of the autotemp units (the part where the heater hoses went through.) as a teen. It seems that in our '71 chrysler, high revs would do something to the cooling system and steam would get in the autotemp unit and crack the bottom of it. Even back then it was an expensive fix.
Wel this might actualy look usefull.
Lot of footage tho. But looks like he knows what he is talking about. Thanx allot.
Funny tho how he says merc was pioneering climate controle. While it was after the 3 gen of chrysler system they jumped on board
But thanks

Back