Build sheet

RWCearley

Reaction score
I have two build sheets for my 71 New Yorker. One is the correct sheet. The other was for an different New Yorker. See pics. The sheets are in poor shape, but the vin numbers are there.

Vin no. CH23 U1C 167134 is correct for my New Yorker.
Vin no. CH23 T1C165534 is not correct.

Is this common?

Both build sheets were in the back seat lowerframe.

20221227_193401.jpg

20221227_193421.jpg

20221227_193417.jpg

20221227_193411.jpg

Basically the sheets were instructions for the line workers.
They may be "gold" today but on the line they were not as important after the car was built.
So it is common to see other sheets in other cars when forgotten to be stuffed in the car.
Also common is cars with NO broadcast sheets because of that.

As for the wrong sheet for your car, the right to do is donate it to a registry so it can be reunited to its rightful owner if the car is still among the living.

I will either give it to the owner of the car if it still exists. Or donate it to the group. How do I go about doing this?

Sheets are in such poor condition. Where does it specify interior? My New Yorker came with the tunnel mount cassette player. Is this specified on the sheet?

Second line H3F7

The workers assembling the interior would commonly install seats meant for one car into a different car when the interiors were the same.

Many times, the line workers would pull the seats "by look", matching the front seats rather than looking for the VIN or order number. Or the seats might have been placed on the holding racks in the incorrect order. What mattered to them was that front and rear seats matched each other, not the build sheet. Finding mis-matched build sheets on otherwise matching seats was probably more common than not, just that nobody worried about build sheets back then. Except on "desirable" B and E-body cars or Corvettes and such. But here we are, 50+ years later, being concerned with them. BTAIM

There might be a way to get the incorrect build sheet to Hamtramck-Historical without getting into Facebook? I don't do Facebook either.

Happy Holidays!
CBODY67

Good Morning
As stated the build sheets could be found almost anywhere.
The back seat cushion is the more common location, but they also been found under the carpet, in the headliner, taped to the glove box, and if a recent hire from Ford worked on the line, they were glued to the top of the gas tank.
My '65 and '71 had two copies (back seat and under carpet). The '64 had one under the back seat, and the '68 copies are MIA.
Omni

I will contact them soon. Hopefully the chrysler with my non correct build sheet still exists.

Interesting discussion. Never been a stickler on these things glad to have my build sheet (even though it's in poor condition) but it wouldn't have bothered me if it was missing. I know those who are serious about such things even to the point of having date coded radiator hoses. For the most part, such individuals never drive their cars and only trailer them to the next show. When my Chrysler is finished, it will be driven just like my other cars.

I have two build sheets for my 71 New Yorker. One is the correct sheet. The other was for an different New Yorker. See pics. The sheets are in poor shape, but the vin numbers are there.

Vin no. CH23 U1C 167134 is correct for my New Yorker.
Vin no. CH23 T1C165534 is not correct.

Is this common?

Both build sheets were in the back seat lowerframe.

View attachment 573197

View attachment 573198

View attachment 573199

View attachment 573200
The main reason you could find two Broadcast sheets, particularly in the seats is because they were removed in major repairs to fix something under them. All the seat parts would go in a pile and when the repair was completed the guys would grab seats the right colourc and not pay attention to whether or not they cane from the same car.

Both build sheets were in the bottom back seat cushion. Not sure why both sheets would be put in the same cushion. It seems that an assembler would have noticed this.

Anything sent to hamtramck historical is hidden away in a file somewhere and no one can see any information about anything that is there unless they can prove they have the car.

I've been trying to get information about M46's for a while and the hamtramck historical site will not furnish any information about any M46 that is known. Of which it has been said that there are several, around a dozen M46's known in the registry.

Sure , it's a good thing to help out those who need the build sheet for their car, or fender tag.
However there is a ton of information that is just simply lost due to the lost and found section of that site.

If you are hard set on sending it to the HH registry, please take multiple pictures and list them with the vin number listed in a thread as well so that a future owner might find it here as well. And so that some of us who look at car documentation might use the knowledge for the betterment of the hobby, even if it is only in our own minds and the information becomes lost to us dependent upon the opinion of some higher up in the hobby.

I've found this to be true of others with respect to vehicle identification. The alfa romeo museum will verify the information you provide them as true (or not) but will not provide information to you on your alfa. For example, if you provide them with both the vin and engine numbers, they will confirm that the engine is original to your alfa. They will not provide the engine number if you only give them the chassis (vin) number. Apparently, doctoring numbers to match is done in Europe as well as here in the USA.

Back