Canadian 1960 Forward Look cars. The differences from the US cars.

Furious

Reaction score
Canadian built cars often had differences from their US built equivalents.
Let's discuss, share photos and info about the Canadian cars.

I just bought a 1960 Dodge Polara, Canadian built, and it has several differences from the more commonly seen US built Polaras.
1. Canadian cars were painted apart, then assembled, so the rad support, inner fenders and hood hinges are not body color.
2. The seat upholstery appears to be like the Matador {although I am still researching that}.
Wheel covers don't have the 4 "flippers".
3. Canadian cars don't have a fender tag-per se. They have an aluminum tag on the cowl near the left hood hinge, that has very minimal information on it.

What else is different on the Canadian Polaras?

Typically, Canadian Dodges used Plymouth interiors and dashboards with Dodge badging. Something to do with the Autopact in place at the time. I'm not sure when this started (mid 50s I believe), but it was definitely still in place by 1966. So your Polara may well have Fury dash and some level of Fury interior.

Canadian Dodges for some years often had Dodge front ends on Plymouth bodies, unique Canada-only trim, and wheelbase differences too.

I am definitely NOT the expert on this, but just passing on information I have picked up over the years - erroneous or not! Lol...

Typically, Canadian Dodges used Plymouth interiors and dashboards with Dodge badging. Something to do with the Autopact in place at the time. I'm not sure when this started (mid 50s I believe), but it was definitely still in place by 1966. So your Polara may well have Fury dash and some level of Fury interior.

Canadian Dodges for some years often had Dodge front ends on Plymouth bodies, unique Canada-only trim, and wheelbase differences too.

I am definitely NOT the expert on this, but just passing on information I have picked up over the years - erroneous or not! Lol...
Australia got a mixed bag as well, the '66-'68 local Dodge Phoenix was a Plymouth Fury with a Dodge dashboard/instruments.

The Canadian built Dodges of the 50's and early 69's are known as PLODGES.
Lol.
Prior to the 1965 Autopact, Chrysler Canada Corporation
( separate from its US counterpart in order to set up shop in Canada) had to use Canadian suppliers in order to manufacture their vehicles.
Plus the Canadian market was different compared to our southern brothers.
Yes we are cheap bastards, lol.
In order to keep costs down, using existing tooling with the exception of the front clip, and existing interiors
suited the public demand.
American Dodges could be ordered but subject to import tarrifs.
Ditto letter 300's

The Canadian 1960 Polaras have the same dash as the US cars. The Canadian 61 Darts use the Plymouth dash and seat upholstery.
The 1960 Polaras are very uncommon in Canada. I think they sold around 2500 total of all body types.
As af as I know, they didn't sell the Polaras in Canada in 1961, and never sold the 62-64 880's here either. I have seen a few 64 880 convertible sin Canada, but they may have been US cars imported.

Back