CHP vehicle inspection........?

69monaco

Reaction score
$_85.jpg

When did you get a sticker like this one………?

Perhaps when a car was re-registered with a salvage title after an accident. I have never seen one though.

Back then, there were annual emissions tests, but no formal safety inspection as such? I remember reading about roadside safety inspections, where they'd funnel all traffic onto a side road and do inspections there. Which might be where that sticker would be applied?

Just suspectin' . . .
CBODY67

These were from the roadside inspections. After they finished a car they would then flag one in, so many would just pass while an inspection was in process.
None of my families cars ever had one during this era (4 or 5 cars).

Alan

Ohio doesn't have inspections but in the 80's my uncle got stopped because he was traveling every week to my Grandfather's when he was sick. The Ohio Highway Patrol stopped him and put a similar Safety Inspection sticker on his car. The LEO said he stopped him because of the out of state plates and the frequency of seeing him.

I suspect it was the same sort of thing.

Went to HS in Cali back then.Emissions was just getting started. They use to set up emissions test sites on the major cruising areas. We would just go around them. Regular shops did the testing and installation of emission equipment. If you bought a car and it didn’t have the approved device you had to take the car to a shop to have it installed before getting tabs.

Most used car dealers didn’t have shops so it would be andexpense was up to the new owner. When Ibought my SC/Rambler I had to get a device installed.once Igot home I ripped it off and threw it ina box.

The CHP sticker is from out of state cars inspected for safety and to insure the car wasn’t stolen.

Back