Cleaning up aluminum wheels (not Mopar)

darth_linux

Reaction score
So I’ve got these very nice aluminum wheels on my 2008 Uplander and there’s some corrosion from where wheel weights were previously placed, and brake goo that sat on the wheel for too long. What’s the best way to clean these up? Scotch bright pad, magic eraser, some sort of metal scraper, some chemical? Regular Wesley‘s bleach white wheel tire cleaner does not take this off. Thanks for your advice.

IMG_3438.jpeg

IMG_3439.jpeg

No easy fix for that. That's corrosion on the aluminum surface where the clearcoat wore off. Cheap way, "quick" fix would be to strip clear coat and paint off, gently smooth down and paint silver or gun metal.

Most cities will have a shop or two that specializes in wheel repair. They can throw those on a lathe and take off a half millimeter or so off of the entire surface. Then clearcoat the fresh aluminum.

No easy fix for that. That's corrosion on the aluminum surface where the clearcoat wore off. Cheap way, "quick" fix would be to strip clear coat and paint off, gently smooth down and paint silver or gun metal.

Most cities will have a shop or two that specializes in wheel repair. They can throw those on a lathe and take off a half millimeter or so off of the entire surface. Then clearcoat the fresh aluminum.
A good suggestion, but that will make the wheels worth more than the entire van, lol. I’m looking for something I can do in an afternoon without refinishing the entire wheel. I might try a scotch brite pad just to get the discoloration off.

Back