Correct color for engine accessories (1967 small block)

MoPar~Man

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Regarding the color for the 1967 LA318 (which I've decided is red), which of the following was also painted the same color as the engine:

alternator bracket and arm
water pump
water pump pulley
fan spacer
fan blades
power steering pulley
power steering pump and reservoir
harmonic ballancer
engine oil dip stick tube and handle
crank pulley
timing cover
distributor (?)
throttle linkage / brackets
transmission kickdown linkage
transmission oil tube and dip stick handle

If any of the above was not painted with the engine color, then what was it painted with? (I'm thinking just black? If it was painted at all?)

Edit: is painting the steering gear a bright aluminum color ok or was it black?

alternator bracket and arm -black
water pump -red
water pump pulley - black
fan spacer - natural (?)
fan blades - Black
power steering pulley- black
power steering pump and reservoir - black
harmonic ballancer -red
engine oil dip stick tube and handle - I think it's red, but it might be natural
crank pulley - black
timing cover - red
distributor (?) - natural
throttle linkage / brackets - natural?
transmission kickdown linkage - natural
transmission oil tube and dip stick handle - natural

As I understand it, the engine was assembled, less pulleys and other accessories, but with exhaust manifolds on, and then painted.

Black painted pieces are varying levels of gloss.

This is my 1973 360, a 1967 will be very similar.

IMG_1346.jpeg

This is a 67 (273), not shown is the dipstick handle.
Normally the exhaust manifolds and bypass hose are painted with the engine.
Parts of both radiator hoses and negative battery cable are also painted.
Not on the engine are the fuel pump and distributor (and should not have engine paint on them).
2018-04-29_017.jpg

Other parts (note, exhaust heat shield would have been painted with the engine had the exhaust been painted with the engine)
IMG_2351.JPG
IMG_2352.JPG
IMG_2353.JPG
IMG_2356.JPG

Normally the plug wire retainers on the valve covers are painted with the engine, I have been told the kickdown bell crank, washer and cotter pin were on the engine and painted red as well (not the cable clamp).
IMG_2358.JPG

Other details:
Vacuum nipple - natural
Fan Spacer - natural
PCV Grommet - painted red with engine (I don't)
PCV - ? (I leave natural)

I don't have a better picture but the two bolts that hold the water pump on were painted with the engine and reused, I now feel the spacer should be as well as it is needed to properly torque the pump down.
2019-03-16_007.JPG

In my Barracuda
2018-09-01_001.jpg

2018-09-01_007.jpg

If you have some more specific questions or pictures let me know.

Alan

All the answers given have been correct for USA manufacture cars. However, it's important to keep in mind that most cars for the Canadian market were typically assembled at Windsor, and almost all the engines there for the Canadian market were painted red (up to late 67) with more of their accessories installed and assembled - hence almost all the accessories got painted engine colour. This includes power steering pump, pulleys, spacers, exhaust manifolds, AC hard lines like low pressure return lines etc. This comes from my hands on parting and viewing of many Canadian cars.

However, this is not a hard and fast rule - any special order, fleet or police motors were assembled on separate engine assembly areas, and their accessories installed after painting. Cars for the Canadian market NOT assembled at Windsor did not always get the Canadian red colour either, but often had the USA blues and turquoises and orange.

Both my Windsor-assembled Canadian Monacos had red big blocks (as opposed to USA market turquoise big blocks) - with my 383 having EVERYTHING painted red, and my special order 440 4-speed car with the police-spec engine being red with black painted accessories and bracketry, and no paint on the exhaust at all.

My 66 Canadian T&C was not assembled at Windsor, and got a turquoise 440 with AC lines assembled and engine colour, but fan/power steering stuff painted black.

Personally, I enjoy the contrast of black accessories.

Was there any variability in these paint schemes based on the assembly factory? (I was typing this before refreshing the page and I see Ross anticipated the question...)

Still somewhat surprised that the exhaust manifolds would have gotten some paint. I imagine that would have smoked and burned off, perhaps long before the car ended up in a customer's hands?

So it was probably the case for a Windsor-built car that the engine and fan, spacer, etc were painted engine color? Yes I see the appeal in having the fan and a few other parts being black. I guess the carb and air cleaner were not mounted to the engine during this paint-job?

Last edited:
Back