Differential Cover

71Newp

Reaction score
My differential has been leaking at the bottom between the cover and the housing. I took the cover off and i am now wondering what the best way to seal it is. I have a new gasket and RTV for differentials. Do I use the gasket and the RTV or just the RTV? Thanks,
Tim

Clean the cover good, I usually wire wheel the mating surface and then do the same to the diff, then I use red high temp rtv, snug up bolts, let it set up for 15-20 minutes then torque to spec and fill the diff.

Been doing it that way for years with no leaks.

I agree with fury 111 convertible except use Permatex Ultra Black. Have used it for years on engines, transfer cases and diffs with no problems.

My differential has been leaking at the bottom between the cover and the housing. I took the cover off and i am now wondering what the best way to seal it is. I have a new gasket and RTV for differentials. Do I use the gasket and the RTV or just the RTV? Thanks,
Tim

The 7 3/4 rear cover has a fair amount of flex. Carefully clean the mating surface of the rear end housing and the cover. Apply the RTV to the housing and the cover. Then install the gasket to the cover using a couple of the bolts to hold it in place and bolt the whole thing back together. Do not use an excessive amount of the RTV sealer, you do not want any squishing out and getting inside the housing. I like to let them sit over night to dry before adding the gear oil, but 2 to 3 hours of curing is adequate if you need to get it together quick. Outside temps of 80F or more will cure the RTV in a half hour or so.

Dave

Back