disc brake conversion

1969polara

Reaction score
I have a 1969 dodge polara two door hardtop with a 383 with a 727 and ac i pulled the front Drumb brakes off and installed a ser of disc brakes off a 1971 chrysler 300 i was told being my car was a drum brake car i needed a proportioning valve so i bought an adjustable one my question is can i put it on before the reisiduale valve Or after

I will tell you something most people swear doesn't work...You don't need a proportioning valve....well a stock one anyway. Plumb your front calipers straight into the rear reservoir, then put your adjustable brake valve on the line heading to your rear drums. Adjust the brake valve at a 50/50 brake pressure to start. The drive to a gravel lot somewhere and start hitting the brakes. You want your rear drum brakes to lock up a split second before your fronts.

I did this on my 68 Chrysler T/C wagon, and the braking is great!

Full size 69-70 C bodies with K-H "floating" caliper disc brakes didn't use a proportioning valve for the rear brakes, instead they used a metering (or hold-off) valve on the disk brake circuit only.

Back