For Sale ebay - 66 300 with a twist

Status
Not open for further replies.

fury fan

Reaction score
Contact seller
1966 Chrysler 300 Series | eBay

Seller calls it beautiful, I guess he's referring to the styling and not the condition.
But I see in it something I've never seen in a 300 before.
Several pics have the clues.

Let's play a game and exercise our detective skills.
Who sees what I saw (I will give credit for good answers, but full credit only for the answer I seek)

s-l1600.jpg

Good observation, good catch on the manual brakes, not sure if I've seen that in a 300, but that's not usually on my radar.

But not the 'correct' answer.

I'm kinda thinking you might see it on this one, based on your 'history'. (that word will make sense after the answer is announced)

Good catch on that, firewall is non-AC also. Seller says it's a 440, and VIN is G, so we know it's NOM.
But not the winner...

No reason to string anyone along all day, so here's a cryptic clue.

I noticed something in the trunk picture. I thought 'what is that doing in the trunk of this car?'
Then I looked at the other pics again and saw signs underhood, underneath, and in the interior that explained it.
Maybe it was avaialble, but it doesn't fit the style of the 300, and I don't remember ever seeing one equipped this way.

6 cylinder distributer cap? Nevermind. looking again it's probably for a V8.

I'm thinking you and Stan have the knowledge to figure this one out. Look at the junk in the trunk, and see if something springs out at you.

It was a 3 on the tree. Assuming the P/S wasn't added, it's a one option car. The console is not original. There was a three on the tree 4 door '66 300 in a junkyard near me about 15 years ago.

Maybe two options. I see fender mounted turn indicators, so it could have light group, unless they were standard on the 300. Though I don't see a trunk light switch.

Mr Pioneer got close (and his first message posted, too!), but Bigmoparjeff is the winner! (but PS would be standard on a Chrysler, so I'd say this is a no-option car)

I saw the big spring, the overcenter spring for a clutch pedal.
Then I saw the short pedal, thought 'huh, somebody converted a 4-sp to a console AT.
Then in 1 other pic I saw the column-shifter-handle hanging down.

A 3-on-the-tree 300, with radio delete, manual brakes. Due to being a 300 of the 65-66 era, I believe it would be the unusual 383-4 barrel with single exh, rated at 315hp.

I'm wondering if this car was by someone who wanted a 300 and this was the only way to afford it?

upload_2017-10-21_13-53-19.png

upload_2017-10-21_13-54-2.png

upload_2017-10-21_13-55-22.png

upload_2017-10-21_13-55-50.png

Last edited:
That's quite possible, or just someone who was cheap. I'm sure it was ordered. You wouldn't find something like this on the lot, unless someone goofed up.

It really doesn't look all that bad, but the starting price is too high.

Is it possible that it was a "Price Leader" type of car, where the dealer would advertise a dirt cheap 300, or any other car, to get customers in the showroom, and that was the only car they had at that price? The old "bait and switch".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back