Electrical Short or Ground Issue - ?

65 Sporty

Reaction score
Issue: Blinker flashes when not turned on with the turn signal lever.

Background: I have owned a 1965 Sport Fury since 2006 and this year (2024) it started to have a problem with the right front (passenger side) blinker turning on upon initial start of the engine. The dash flashes and the right front blinker flashes but the rear blinker does not. Sometimes it will shut off after a few minutes, I associated that with the engine warming up, but last drive it did not shut off after a long cruise. The turn signal switch is broken but it does control front and rear blinkers by turning it on and off manually - all 4 blinkers work including the dash indicator. Since it does not automatically turn the blinkers off, I know the turn signal switch needs replacing.

Repairs/Diagnosis: Thinking this might be a ground issue, I have removed, cleaned and reattached the ground connections at the block from the battery and at the firewall for the block but no change to this malfunction.

Suggestions/Thoughts: Before I replace the turn signal switch, I wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar issue especially if it is in the steering column.
-While the turn signal switch is broken, this problem is new - could it be switch related?
-Could there be a wire in the steering column causing a short?
-Are there another grounding points to check?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Back