Engine Color

Color

• Total voters

The Horvaths

Young man with a cowboy hat
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on an engine color for my 440 and was wondering what you all have used. I'm leaning towards small block red but would like to see how some other colors look.
Pictures for attention:
273carb.jpg
IMG_20160910_123507.jpg

Has anybody used this?
Screenshot_20161103-092743.png

I'll vote factory original color every time.

I'll vote factory original color every time.
I know. I usually would too. I just feel that a heavily modified car in a non-factory color would look better with a high impact color. I personally just don't enjoy the blue on yellow combo.

I was going to use the factory Mopar blue, but Paul talked me out of it and painted it Hemi orange. Not sure which orange race vs street, but probably street. Turned out not bad!
100_7901.JPG
100_7902.JPG

I know. I usually would too. I just feel that a heavily modified car in a non-factory color would look better with a high impact color. I personally just don't enjoy the blue on yellow combo.

Heavily modified (mechanically) cars, also with some degree of non-factory "appearance" customization (color, wheels, etc.) .. yup, sometimes the factory engine colors don't cut it for the "look" we want. I vote you do whatever engine color that fits your vision/budget etc. for the vehicle :).

Most other types of cars? I always go with the factory colors for the vehicle/year like others above have mentioned.

since you are seeking opinions (but I don't know the year of your 440 car, or the actual "yellow" shade for body color you're going with) I'd pick the factory 440 color for the car/year, AND Street Hemi Orange as the other option listed in your survey. thanks for asking for views :)

25.jpg

Last edited:
Street Hemi Orange if it's a built up 440, my spare 440 will be painted street Hemi Orange. I keep changing my mind about what I'm doing with it, but it's a factory color that still screams performance.

My 2 cents worth

While not to my taste, the closest match to your yellow is the race hemi orange. It's more yellow than the street hemi orange.

But rather than do it in a factory color that you will constantly be getting crap at car shows/cruise nights about, why not just paint the engine to match the car?

While not to my taste, the closest match to your yellow is the race hemi orange. It's more yellow than the street hemi orange.

But rather than do it in a factory color that you will constantly be getting crap at car shows/cruise nights about, why not just paint the engine to match the car?
I thought about it, but yellow on yellow is too much for me.

Heavily modified (mechanically) cars, also with some degree of non-factory "appearance" customization (color, wheels, etc.) .. yup, sometimes the factory engine colors don't cut it for the "look" we want. I vote you do whatever engine color that fits your vision/budget etc. for the vehicle :).

Most other types of cars? I always go with the factory colors for the vehicle/year like others above have mentioned.

since you are seeking opinions (but I don't know the year of your 440 car, or the actual "yellow" shade for body color you're going with) I'd pick the factory 440 color for the car/year, AND Street Hemi Orange as the other option listed in your survey. thanks for asking for views :)

View attachment 102055

D'oh! Here's the car. It's a '66 in Curious Yellow. It's not a factory 440 car. It is a custom.
I pulled the engine last weekend to do a refresh. It currently pushes the car to an 11 second 1/4, but maybe I can get it into tens. :rolleyes:
IMG_20161019_170439.jpg
FB_IMG_1475720666112.jpg

Last edited:
I didnt see the What a Rush thread. I thought I was the only one who didn't know the starting point :) Thanks.

So, with that info, I am more solidly in the Street Hemi Orange, a factory High Performance Color in 1966 for the hot 440.

I could rock the Turquoise too ... if a "sleeper" theme was my goal maybe? I see the contrast though you noted with the Blues and the body color and what "Rush" inherently is as a performer.

So, with a mill that helps deliver the mail in the 10's, and the new info to me overall, my vote for Street Hemi Orange stands as cast. Best compromise in my view all things considered :)

Good luck with it!

It depends on the response you want from others. Do you want " cool car!" Or "what the hell was he thinking when he painted the engine ( non standard color)?"

Hemi Orange Baby!! The Chebbie guys will all ask

"that thang gotta hemi!"

If you like red, paint it red. If anybody gives you any crap, tell them it's a Canadian production car.

Considering where you bought the car from, completely plausible.

Kevin

If you like red, paint it red. If anybody gives you any crap, tell them it's a Canadian production car.

Considering where you bought the car from, completely plausible.

Kevin
It is a Canadian built car. Did Canadian production cars have red engines?

Back