NOT MINE Ever drool over a K-car? Nice looking FL '85 Dodge 600 vert for $2.5k!

drpreposterous

Reaction score
Not mine.
$2,500. Yes, $2,500 for a nice summer runabout...

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/cto/d/venice-1985-dodge-600es-turbo/7288306368.html

AwvuWlGe_t.jpg
D3hSlB59_t.jpg
oXUkJ9la_t.jpg
NCyKcyEi_t.jpg
KYQJwdqV_t.jpg
6CP9Raqe_t.jpg

I hate to admit I've been partaking in some weird voyeurism with K cars lately. I never wanted one but always appreciated the platform for what it did for Chrysler.

Then I bought a flipper project 86 Laser for my nephew. Since then I have been looking at adds and pictures of K cars.

It makes me feel like a pervert and a geek at the same time.
I'm tired of living this lie.
I found a turbo drivetrain on craigs and I know where there is a caravan panel van sitting. I had thoughts about what it would be like to put the two together.

I'm diggin' on that 400. These were great little cars in the day! Compared to the crap Ford was putting out, especially. These are nice little runners. With the Turbo, they were eminently more fun and driveable than a non-Turbo Mopar four-banger.

The photoshopped version looks sick. As in, needs CPR.

Sharp little car and these were relatively quick with the turbo. I drove a bunch of these cars in my youth. My dad had a black one with a silver gray interior that I really liked.

Sharp little car and these were relatively quick with the turbo. I drove a bunch of these cars in my youth. My dad had a black one with a silver gray interior that I really liked.

Agreed. The black with silver / gray interior is the nicest looking of these cars, especially with the turbo.
I always wanted one but wouldn't know what to do with it.

I had a K car and kind of liked it. Decent transportation for the times.

They had a fatal flaw where the front "K frame" (for want of a better term) mounted that would rust away. Chrysler's recall "fix" was to install some hooks that could catch the k frame when the body mount rusted away. On mine, the rest of the car was in great shape, really nice in fact. Within a few month's time, the car went from a nice driver to an unsafe mess.

Granted, that was up here where the cars get a regular salt bath in the winter, but I've heard that it wasn't uncommon in other areas of the country. They just went long enough for other parts to break first.

So, I would be cautious of this one... $2500 for any car that the top goes down on and looks good is awful cheap...

I had a K car and kind of liked it. Decent transportation for the times.

They had a fatal flaw where the front "K frame" (for want of a better term) mounted that would rust away. Chrysler's recall "fix" was to install some hooks that could catch the k frame when the body mount rusted away. On mine, the rest of the car was in great shape, really nice in fact. Within a few month's time, the car went from a nice driver to an unsafe mess.

Granted, that was up here where the cars get a regular salt bath in the winter, but I've heard that it wasn't uncommon in other areas of the country. They just went long enough for other parts to break first.

So, I would be cautious of this one... $2500 for any car that the top goes down on and looks good is awful cheap...

It's mind numbing to me the amount damage done to cars in the midwest and east coast by road salting.
Some peoples cars are probably not even paid for when they get totaled by road salts.
If the municipality hits your cars with a snow plow and totals your car you have an insurance claim.
If the same snow plow totals your car with road salt to bad for you go buy another new car.

They used K cars out here for so long as taxi cabs that the styles of automobiles around them changed. Reminded me of the checker cab.

Now they are using salts out here. I keep waiting for the greenies to come to the defense of all the adjacent habitats getting salted out with run off....

I'd be embarrassed to have that thing in my driveway.
My Granma got the LeBaron K-Car to replace Grandads rusted out BB Chrysler 4 door sedan, I arrived for some family get together on my motorcycle and was tasked with driving the LeBaron (1st version, carb I guess, no turbo, not a 2ltr shitest version) to my cousins farm. Shortest way of about 30 miles was through the valley then up a very steep hill, Granma riding shotgun, mom & dad in the back with I think one younger cousin, had it floored in low at about a third of the way up the hill and could only get 30mph out of it. The other way around but more level would of added about 20 mile each way to the trip. Fun time.

I remember my cousin asking me about buying a new Jeep Cherokee (late 70's?) just when gas miser cars were the rage, wanted to get it with the 4 cylinder. By that time in life I got to hate jeeps, had worked on 2, a plow customer had 1 to plow small driveways, a 1965 first then a 1977 with the electric Fisher Myers plow (hated that) but both had V8's in them so I wasn't too embarrassed, I hadn't been to the farm yet as they just bought it and didn't know anything about 'The Hill' but I told her no get the 6 cylinder. She didn't listen to me and told me she wouldn't challenge the hill in her jeep and always took the long way around to get into the city to work.

My dad bought a later version Reliant K-Car to replace mom's aged 1973 Fury and it was the bigger motor with fuel injection and it was a pretty peppy car.

Last edited:
Now they are using salts out here.

Road salt not really that big of a problem, just make sure in the spring to get the garden hose out and hose all the accumulated sand that holds the salt from underside the vehicle. If you get some warm days in the winter just drag the hose out and hit it mid season. Most of the very bad un-repairable rot I've come across is from a leak into the interior or trunk either from poor accident repair or sloppy glass replacement (or the combination of no underside wash & leak).

Dad had a 400 that replaced the Daytona (K) he totaled. I was impressed with the fit and finish and ride quality. It had plenty of power and even handled well.
My brother had a LeBaron convertible still in the crate with the Mark Cross interior and electronic dash with the talking message center and Itchy Pus...I mean Mitsubishi engine.
Now that was a piece of junk.
This 600 looks really good.

The T1 turbo in these things are good motors. All K car convertibles 1982-86 were automatics.

2.2 liter turbo engines:

T1 142 Horsepower /turbo
T2 175 Horsepower /intercooler and turbo
T3 224 Horsepower (1991-93) intercooler, turbo, DOHC, and 16 valves (all came with a 5 speed)
ordering this motor cost 8,000.00 extra. 1380 built in the 3 years. This SOB could fly! They must have lost their *** on this one. All the valve train parts were made by Lotus in the UK. My 1992 Daytona had the Slave CD player: a super rare option plus the Infinity radio with a tape player. Also had factory alarm, overhead console, rear wiper, fog lamps, ABS, leather wrapped wheel
18,000 mile car
I've owned a T1 86 Daytona (59,000 mile car) and a 1992 Daytona IROC R/T with the T3

sorry no hose in the driveway.........

DSCN0001.JPG

DSCN0021.JPG

DSCN0022.JPG

DSCN0521.JPG

DSCN00693.JPG

Back