Factory?

furyus 67

Reaction score
Not that I have a ton of experience with these old mopars, but in taking 2.76 outta the my 8 3/4 I was think I was seeing things that might original. I don't think this axle has been apart before. What do you guys think?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Actually it's kind of rare to find an old Mopar that has had the rear end out. They are fairly sturdy units.
Most times it's the axle bearings if the axles show signs of being pulled.

I asked because I've never seen those foam style axle seals and it didn't leak a drop. Are those available in the aftermarket? I'm not a huge fan of rtv. I'll use it when needed but if I can avoid it I will.

8.75's are bulletproof with factory stock engines. The only time I seen one fail is when all the gear oil leaked out.

I started destroying 8.75's when I had a B and an E body and started to develop a little power (back in the day) and then started destroying the next weakest link...U-joints and drive shaft's, and eventually grenading rears. I wasn't too good (when I was 21) adjusting backlash and preloading and shimming the pinion. My brother and I used Direct Connection ring and pinion sets and Strange Engineering near Chicago assembled them for us and even configured the pinion snubber height. I believe you can still get the foam from Strange Enginneering or Quarter-Max.

dcc-3690182.jpg

That's a sweet pinion snub!! Might make on my list of things to get. Although with a low compression 413 it's likely I'm not making much power. It's a c body......right?:lol:

Stanley has a great idea about how to replace those foam seals. Show him the water wienies Stan!

Scummit has them. I keep forgetting about this Google thing;/. Or maybe I trust the word of you fine gentleman more!! Any way, I've got a couple more questions if anybody has the time lol. At the axle end of my driveshaft I've got the 3-1/4" X 4" ujoint. Of course my new 3rd member has the 3-1/4" yolk. Does anyone know the part # for the correct ujoint? I hate going to the parts store and arguing with the jcpennys cashier behind the counter. It's just easier to thier job for them. In advanced thanks fellas!!

Now that there is some irony... :poke:
I was very aware of the irony that was taking place as I was typing it. The thought that perpetuated said irony was this:" I'll bet that one of my more experienced Cbody brethren have delt with same issue a hundred times and would most likely know said part number. Because they have minds like steel traps and an attention to detail that rivals the Hubble telescope!" So at least I was thoughtful in my irony!

Back