Front Dash speaker removal/recommendations...

Ambush

Reaction score
Hey, I need to swap out my front dash speaker on my 1965 Imperial. It is original to the car, (as is the rear speaker). It does work but, not well. It pops and crackles baldly with all the low end frequencies -bass and kick drums do not play well out of it ... the rear speaker function is fine.

Just wanted to know if anyone can recommend a good replacement for the dash speaker? Something that will "plug-in" and line up w/ all the screw holes like the original. I don't mind a NOS speaker from the era, so long as it works ...If anyone has one. But I'm curious if there are any modern aftermarket speakers that can fit the bill. Please chime in my friends...THANKS

Your best option would be to get your OEM speaker re-coned. Any NOS speaker's cone will be as old as our car, which means it will fail sooner than later as the paper in the cone has dried-out and become more brittle with age.

There are some speaker re-coning services which have been mentioned in here. Speaker re-coning might be available in your region as many dance clubs have large speakers that need to be re-coned, so somebody might be reasonably local to you. YouTube videos on what is involved in re-coning a speaker are online, too.

Almost every modern speaker I have seen has a much larger magnet, which might mean it might not fit the innards of the instrument panel as the stock speaker did, even if the screw holes might line up. The larger magnet takes more power to run, too, so that might be an issue with a speaker amp that probably is in the 5 watt range.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Are you using the original radio? It needs to be an 8 ohm speaker.

Getting an original speaker reconed is a good way to go. It will fit the car and sound like new.

Yes it's an original radio so yes does need to be 8 Ohm...

So I started the process of speaker removal and looking at the FSManual, it's explained as an easy process. All it says is remove the 6 screws atop the dash to remove the grill/vent panel ..then remove the 4 screws that attach the speaker to the panel. I did this but the panel will not lift off, the front of it will lift up about an inch, but it's somehow being held in the back side nearest the windshield. I'm afraid to force anything, but the manual doesn't say to remove anything like the radio to make room ...it just seems to indicate that it all lifts up and off. What am I missing here??

If the speaker grille rests on the dash pad itself, the two probably bonded a bit over the years. "Gentle and careful" are the operative words, I suspect. Can you raise the rear side enough to get a thin metal item, or one of the nylon trim removal tools, near the corner of the grille to help persuade the two to easily separate?

Have you also checked the Online Imperial Club's website for pointers?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

If the speaker grille rests on the dash pad itself, the two probably bonded a bit over the years. "Gentle and careful" are the operative words, I suspect. Can you raise the rear side enough to get a thin metal item, or one of the nylon trim removal tools, near the corner of the grille to help persuade the two to easily separate?

Have you also checked the Online Imperial Club's website for pointers?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY6
Okay I finally got it out. You were right about it being "bonded". Actually it was the plastic duct work below the vents not wanting to release the from the grill. I persuaded her out and not damage to the plastic.

Now to get some speaker suggestions, and I'll see about costs for repairing the old one.

Hey, I need to swap out my front dash speaker on my 1965 Imperial. It is original to the car, (as is the rear speaker). It does work but, not well. It pops and crackles baldly with all the low end frequencies -bass and kick drums do not play well out of it ... the rear speaker function is fine.

Just wanted to know if anyone can recommend a good replacement for the dash speaker? Something that will "plug-in" and line up w/ all the screw holes like the original. I don't mind a NOS speaker from the era, so long as it works ...If anyone has one. But I'm curious if there are any modern aftermarket speakers that can fit the bill. Please chime in my friends...THANKS
Home | S&M Electro-Tech

Look here at S & M Electro-Tech. I looked all over for replacement a slim line 10 x 4 speaker for my 1969 Chrysler T@C and this was the only place that had an exact replacement. This is a very nice business located in MN and the website has dimensions on all the speakers.

Back