Fuel line routings

HappyJack

Reaction score
In September I picked up a 67 Fury convertible, 383, 2bbl. It ran, barely. And the fuel system was a gas can under the hood.
Fast forward to today I’ve put a new gas tank in, all new fuel lines, fuel pump, remanufactured Carter BBD 2 barrel carb.
Also replaced the top , carpet, heater core, radiator etc.
Problem is car runs well until it gets hot, then dies.
I replaced the carb as stated. And voltage regulator, ballast resistor, coil, points and cap, rotor, plugs and plug wires.
It does consistently at the same place when I test drive my neighborhood.
Once it cools off, it fires right up.
Last when it stalled I pulled the breather off and looked in the carb to be sure fuel squirted in when I pumped the accelerator. There is fuel, but I hear it sizzling in the carb.
So assuming I’m boiling fuel, where do I run the fuel line? Currently it comes off the pump, up behind the alternator, turns by the upper rad hose then into the carb. Is this factory? Will heat shielding sleeve over the line be enough?
Help!
IMG_0210.jpeg

I suspect the fuel is "boiling" once it's in the carb, NOT before it gets there, under pressure. It might be picking up some heat (while under the pump's pressure) and then boiling when it gets into the float bowl (not under pressure). There normally is not a lot that can be done, compared to the factory routings, other than put some ThermoTec around the fuel lines after the filter, to shield from ambient engine heat through the radiator. But not a big lot that can be done as to fuel lines, other than that.

Check for voltage loss in the battery cables, before it dies and immediately afterward. Even if they might look fresh and good on the outside, there can be internal faults, unseen, from one of my experiences.

Keep us posted on your progress,
CBODY67

maybe try a phenolic carb spacer to help keep heat transfer to carb from intake manifold

Back