Fuselage 4 Door Hardtop Roof Rail Weatherstripping

atticusfinch95

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently acquired some NOS roof rails for my 71 Sport Fury 4 door hardtop. I am having a terrible go at getting these in. Is there a technique or a tool I am missing? I just cant seem to get the rail to slip all the way into the track. It seems like this should be an incredibly easy job to do. The service manual I own doesnt offer much help. I am just afraid of damaging the rails. Also, are we doomed to NOS weatherstripping or will these fuselage cars finally have their day?

Thanks,
Atticus

NOS Roof Rail Weatherstrips?

On the weatherstrips, there should be a "raised area at the base", about 1/8" wide and tall. That part fits into s corresponding area on the metal roof rail weatherstrip "holder", attached to the car. Index the raised area with the area of the metal roof rail and then roll the weatherstrip into place. When in place, it will stay there from friction. In production, "glue" was used only in a few places, as at "joints" and such in the corners and ends.

IF you might desire a bit of extra sealing, use some high-heat, engine-oriented, sealer between the weatherstrip and the metal channel it goes into. NO 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive, or "old yeller" at all!!! The silicone-based sealer will "disassemble" much easier and cleaner, something the 3M adhesive would never do! Just a thin bead of the high-heat sealer is all that's needed.

Same on the decklid weatherstrip, too.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back