Gas Tank Straps

PursuitSpecial

Reaction score
I took the gas tank out of my Gran Fury to put in trunk floor patch panels. While it was out, I laid the straps in my metal pile, and this guy I know from a salvage yard came by and took all of my scrap metal without my permission, including the straps, and by the time I realized they were gone it was too late. Now I have no straps to put my tank back in, I've looked everywhere online for formal era c body straps and nobody has them. Does anyone know where to get a pair, or am I going to have to custom fabricate them like I did my new trunk floor?

I took the gas tank out of my Gran Fury to put in trunk floor patch panels. While it was out, I laid the straps in my metal pile, and this guy I know from a salvage yard came by and took all of my scrap metal without my permission, including the straps, and by the time I realized they were gone it was too late. Now I have no straps to put my tank back in, I've looked everywhere online for formal era c body straps and nobody has them. Does anyone know where to get a pair, or am I going to have to custom fabricate them like I did my new trunk floor?
I have had good luck with ESPO Springs and things. Otherwise, start a Parts Wanted thread here. Someone may have what you need.

I didn't see any straps on rockauto, just the silly universal pipe hangers and eye bolts they sell. Anyway, I did some research and it looks like Chrysler redesigned their fuel tank straps in 1977, they went to the strap like I have that has a more aggressive "T" slot on the rear and the front bolts directly to a cage nut on the floor brace instead of using a J hook like earlier. I don't think anyone is going to reproduce a strap that was only used for the final two years of the formal C bodies. I found a workaround with existing parts though, I ordered some spectra straps for a 77-up Volare that were $14 on amazon. The T fits right in the hanger slots, but the straps are about 9 inches too short, the mounting holes still stick out from under the tank though. I rebent the straps to match the contour of my tank, and instead of bolting the straps flush with the cage nut I ran a 1 foot piece of bent 3/8 threaded rod into them and connected to the straps just like the J hook did on previous models. The setup seems to be solid, I filled the tank up with all 28 gallons and slung the car around some corners to test it, it doesn't shift around any and nothing broke.

IMG_20240721_161256389.jpg

Back