General A/C Question

1966-300

Reaction score
I am sure this will fall into the stupid question pile but here goes. My 1966 Chrysler 300 has factory A/C but it does not blow cold. Also I am in the process of detailing under the hood. I am tempted to remove all of the A/C components to clean/paint the hoses, brackets etc. But I know once you open the system you can be in a world of hurt. What is the down side to just removing all the A/C components cleaning/painting reinstalling? Then taking car to an A/C specalist as I obviously have NO idea how to get it working again properly. Also can the same components be used then upgrade them to accept R34 vice R12?

A/C

My 1966 Chrysler 300 has factory A/C but it does not blow cold. Also I am in the process of detailing under the hood. I am tempted to remove all of the A/C components to clean/paint the hoses, brackets etc. But I know once you open the system you can be in a world of hurt. What is the down side to just removing all the A/C components cleaning/painting reinstalling? Then taking car to an A/C specalist as I obviously have NO idea how to get it working again properly. Also can the same components be used then upgrade them to accept R34 vice R12?

You'll want to seal off all parts disconnected as soon as disconnected. This is to keep as much moisture out of the system as you can. Carefully remove all the o-ring seals as you go and store them in a baggy with ATF. Inspect and replace any seals that are suspect, (probably best to replace them all if you can locate new ones). Reinstall the seals with a light coat of ATF and reconnect right away. Now go to a A/C shop and let them do the recharge using R-134.
They will evacuate the system and if the system will hold 15 lbs of vaccumm for 30 minutes then it should be ok.

go to the A/C shop FIRST and have them make sure all the r-12 is out of the system. :)

AWESOME advice thanks to all. While I have a modest amount of mechnical ability I know what I dont know and that for sure is A/C. The idea of going to the shop for the evac makes perfect sense. The summer is here already in S Fla, so it may be a while before this happens in the current scheme of repairs and $$$. But thank you all.

Back