Getting my Omni GLHS ready for autocross

Turboomni

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Getting the Omni further out of mothballs and replacing my 19 year old Falken Azena competition tires. Bought a set of Federal RR's with a 200 wear rating so they are street legal. Gonna change the trans fluid on the Getrag 5 speed hopefully today. The new tires are a hoot but they are noisy!! Doesn't bother me though as the car is noisy and you really need to be in the mood to drive the thing anyways.
Last pic is sitting next to my Buddies Belvedere with a Dana 60 ,440 6 pack, Edelbrock heads ,headers etc and soon 4 on the floor. That thing rips.
20190827_164728.jpg
20190827_164557.jpg

20190827_173346.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome GLHS! They are such cool cars, I wish they were sold in Canada when new. I had a GLH Turbo years ago that I converted to TII and it was a blast to drive, but a handful if you weren't careful.

Thanks! My one and only new car purchase was a 1986 GLHT non intercooled. I drove that with a Mopar off road computer and a slight bleed for 12 years in the Boston area till it rusted out and sold it. I swapped out an Omni hood and kept the turbo hood. Found this GLHS in 1989 being stripped for parts and had a small engine fire and half the engine in the rear hatch. Luckily all the GLHS specific parts were there. Got it cheap ,towed it home and took it completely apart and put it together the way I thought it should be put together, super 60 wiring harness ,555 trans [blew up my 525 a few times in my old GLHT.] When have you seen a GLH with square rearview mirrors? Remember they were round, and I thought looked stupid on a boxy car. The rear view mirrors were a one year only offering for the last year of production on the Omni and Horizon that I picked at a junk yard years ago. I still miss my black 89 turbo Caravan I intercooled and went to a garret turbo instead of the Mitsubishi. The GLHS is the only car I can say I ever built and most likely ever will build. Yes they are scary with the torque steer and you better be ready for it!!!

Last edited:
You should bring that to Mikes cruise nite, guarantee it's the only one there. When and where is the autocross?

Last edited:
We used to autocross an ACR Neon. Here's my oldest son at the wheel. Note the light under the right rear tire.

John.jpg

You should bring that to Mikes cruise nite, guarantee it's the only one there. When and where is the autocross?

I took it to a cruise night a few years ago and drove up there late. They looked at me weird and the car. Shelby ? they asked. Yup and showed them some documentation from my glove box, then they said bring her in! The only real SHELBY here !!! LOL

We used to autocross an ACR Neon. Here's my oldest son at the wheel. Note the light under the right rear tire.

They all do that unless they are going too slow. Some fwd have a few inches.

And here I thought I'd be the only GLHS owner here! Nice to see I'm not alone. I have been the caretaker of 1987 #0075 for the last ten years (give or take).

Quote: And here I thought I'd be the only GLHS owner here! Nice to see I'm not alone. I have been the caretaker of 1987 #0075 for the last ten years (give or take). :Quote

Fantastic! Please post some pics and her story, I would love to see and hear about it.

Last edited:
I took it to a cruise night a few years ago and drove up there late. They looked at me weird and the car. Shelby ? they asked. Yup and showed them some documentation from my glove box, then they said bring her in! The only real SHELBY here !!! LOL
Bring em both to Artioli Dodge, you can put the Omni in the trunk of your Fury.

Love to see info on the FWD turbo Mopars! You've got an Omni that anyone would be proud to own. I've had 4 or so GLHT's and an 87 GLHS, but never an 86.
Haven't ever been autocrossing, but last Friday I was racing a turbowagon down the RT 66 dragstrip!
Please continue updating with pics and info :thumbsup:
20190823_192112.jpg

Last edited:
They all do that unless they are going too slow. Some fwd have a few inches.
We used to run at a local go-kart track a couple times a year and the first turn was slightly banked. The car had giant hollow sway bars and going into this turn, the inside rear wheel would lift and actually stop turning the entire length of the turn. You'd see a couple cars lift it a little there, but the Neon hiked up like a dog peeing.

I was slightly concerned at first when you mentioned autocross. It is obviously something completely different than in Europe, actually one step harder than regular rallyesport to the vehicles.

fo2293.jpg

Please continue updating with pics and info

You first! I want info and pics on your turbo wagon! Very cool.

BIGBARNEYCARS has a beautiful Scamp turbo II. I am surprised he hasn't showed up here yet. Wait till you see his Turbo fwd pickup!

Here are some pics of Bigbarnycars or Jer's scamp. Another neat fwd mopar that he converted to turbo. Not original interior but nicer and well done ,also turbo conversion. Those pizza wheels that are 5 lug must extremely rare now. Love the Charger turbo hood,,everything works. Musta been alot of work this car and well worth it! Jer gave me permission to post these pics.

20170807_134748_resized-jpg.jpg

20170807_134831_resized-jpg.jpg

20170807_134852_resized-jpg.jpg

20170807_134942_resized-jpg.jpg

20170807_135142_resized-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

As far as I know it is at the Berkshire Mall in Lanesboro MA another defunct Mall with lots of asphalt on Sept 29th. Now since I bought the tires for this it will surely rain.

Yes I also have heard those called "swiss cheese" wheels. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these (and the "pizza" wheels) are 5x100, the earliest (1984?) sporty model FWD turbo cars had the same wheels in a 4 lug pattern.

Yes cheese ,pizza ,swiss cheese,I have heard all of those names. I may be wrong but I remember the 4 lug versions were plenty and the 5 lug being out briefly then stopping.
I dont know for sure.

Back