How to remove headrests?

Snotty

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was looking at my Newport this morning while the Bugman was spraying around my home. Knowing that I have all of the stuff to redo my interior, I decided to look in my FSM to see how the headrests are to be removed? Do I just pull them up?

It said nothing!! Nothing in my 1975 Chilton's Book either.

So people, how are these removed?

1970 Newport bucket seats.

Not a expert here at all but I think they will just need some lube to make them come out easier. I think they have like a metal clip inside the seat frame that helps retain them.

Should just pull out. See that little notch at the bottom of the upright? That's what sticks.

Sometimes, if you push down first, that unlocks the detent and then you can pull up firmly and it should come out. Just don't hit yourself in the face when it breaks free,

1713829558354.png

Should just pull out. See that little notch at the bottom of the upright? That's what sticks.

Sometimes, if you push down first, that unlocks the detent and then you can pull up firmly and it should come out. Just don't hit yourself in the face when it breaks free,

View attachment 657119
Ha! I'll give that a try, thanks.

Thanks. I thought they just pulled out but I get quite the resistance. I'll do what Big John suggested.

My parents bought a '71 Toyota Crown (Yes, I was fully embarrassed!) new. I liked what the front seats on it had. There was a "button" formed into the vinyl fabric of the seats on the back. You pushed that spot and you could feel a button push in. Then you could just simply pull the headrests and they came out. Very easy.

use a piece of 2x4 for leverage if they are tough to pop up

Back