Ignition question, 1977 Royal Monaco

eagle130

Reaction score
Hi! I consider myself somewhat mechanically inclined but there are many things that are way beyond my scope of capabilities. Ignition systems is one of those things. I bought this Monaco last year, and I've never seen it run. The guy I got it from couldn't get it running. I've had a couple of gear head friends look at it and nobody is quite sure what's going on.

It has a new starter and a fresh battery and coil, and a new Holley quadrajet carburetor was recently installed. As far as I know, everything else is untouched. When you turn the key on and off, there is a spark, but no spark while it's cranking. Is there anything I need to check or replace?

Thanks for any helpful advice or information :)

When you turn the key on and off, there is a spark, but no spark while it's cranking. Is there anything I need to check or replace?
If the ballast resistor has 4 blades, that's the first thing I'd check. You can check with an ohm meter. If it has 2 blades, that's not your problem.

1720546559138.png

Or... They are usually under $5 and you could just plug a new one in and try it. If it ends up not being the ballast resistor, you now have a spare that you should carry anyway.

Back