Installing factory power windows in non power car

SGT FURY

Reaction score
I have a 62 Newport coupe parts car with power windows.
I have a 61 Plymouth coupe non power window car that I want to install the power windows in.
My question is how hard is it to change over the power windows from car to car.
Am I just opening a can of worms or is not to bad?
Anything I should know before attempting?

Not terribly hard if you have the correct parts for the job.

At least with the 1965 and newer cars, the only mechanical difference between power and crank windows is the regulator itself. The glass and tracks are the same. Some power window cars will have a rubber stop bumper at the bottom of the door, where the same car with crank windows doesn't. I'm going to guess that the 1957 to 1964 cars are similar.

Generally, the hardest part of the job is drilling the holes for the wiring. The metal on the A pillar and the front of the doors is quite thick. You'll probably have to pull fenders or doors to get access for drilling, though there's a chance that a right angle drill could do it. The 1962 doors do swing fairly wide at the hinges.

If both your cars are the same body style, as in two 2 door hardtops, vs one hardtop and one two door sedan, it's pretty likely that they use the same regulators, but you'd have to hit the parts books to confirm that for sure.

Jeff

As above, and pull the doors and possibly fenders. Leave the hinges if it's easier to get to the door side of them.

There should be dimples in the cowl where the wiring bung holes need to be drilled. DON'T drill oversized, and get good quality hole saws. Measure/compare the donor car repeatedly before drilling.

I would thinks it’s just swap over the parts. Don’t remove the motor from the regulator out of the door, removes fingers.

I own a 62 with PW and it looks fairly straight forward in the doors, have not go into the rears.

Be careful on the bolts holding the door to the hinge, they are fine thread and can strip out easily on those cars. DAMHIK

Yes - always support the doors as you undo the hinge bolts. Lots of penetrant on both sides of the bolts - both where the hinge plate is, and from the inside of the cowl panel where they poke through will help.

Regulators and motors come out as an assembly.

Here's a tip - if the doors are already aligned nicely, drill two 1/8th holes through the hinge plate and the body of the car before removing them - then when you go to reinstall the door, shine a light from inside the body, and when you can see the light through both holes, your door is aligned as original.

Yes - always support the doors as you undo the hinge bolts. Lots of penetrant on both sides of the bolts - both where the hinge plate is, and from the inside of the cowl panel where they poke through will help.

Regulators and motors come out as an assembly.

Here's a tip - if the doors are already aligned nicely, drill two 1/8th holes through the hinge plate and the body of the car before removing them - then when you go to reinstall the door, shine a light from inside the body, and when you can see the light through both holes, your door is aligned as original.
I have used the drill a hole in removing and reinstalling a hood. I used nails and the right sized drill bit to align the hood upon reinstallation.

Ross, 1962 doors and hinges are “different“ than 65 and newer. Good luck drilling a hole through them, you’ll be there a while! LOL. That bolt head takes 9/16” socket, I put some keys on top for a gauge of just how think that hinge arm is.

The top hinge is no slouch either. And the plate the bolts thread into in massive. I just put masking tape along side where it overlaps the door, much easier.

odd thing is the door itself is not very heavy as far as doors go.

Last one is the wiring routing.

A719BF30-93E9-4F26-84AA-7DC8FE7CB6A7.jpeg

E8A1D47E-9D57-4FAC-82E6-5532C6A46FA5.jpeg

685B6550-C770-4021-B6B7-4787E50F4816.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a 62 Newport coupe parts car with power windows.
I have a 61 Plymouth coupe non power window car that I want to install the power windows in.
My question is how hard is it to change over the power windows from car to car.
Am I just opening a can of worms or is not to bad?
Anything I should know before attempting?

Interchange taken from MyMopar

Manual Front
80 1954348-9 7.9S
Chrysler '60-62 2 Dr
Desoto '60·61 2 Dr
Dodge '60-61 2 Dr
Dodge '62 880 ser 2 Dr
Plymouth '60·61 2 Dr

Manual Rear
51 1883494-5 9.50
- Chrysler '6(}'62 H. T. C H. T.
S.W.
Desoto '60-61 H.T.
Dodge '60-61 H. T.
Dodge '62 880 scr
Plymouth '6(}'61 H. T.

Front Electric
34 1864360-1 11.50
- Chrysler '60-64 2 Dr
Desoto '60-61 2 Dr
Dodge '60-61 2 Dr
Dodge '62-64 880 ser 2 Dr
Plymouth '60-61 2 Dr

Rear Electric
33 1964352-3 14.25
- Chrysler '60-64 H. T. {; S. W•
Desoto '60-61 H. T.
Dodge '60-61 H. T.
Dodge '62-64 880 ser ; H. T. {;
H.T.S.W.
Plymouth '60-61 H. T.

As far as I can tell, this should work... I'd recommend taking the regulator out of on door on the parts car and open the panel on the car you're keeping to verify that it looks like the bolts are in the same locations... then one door at a time. This should allow you to use the assembled door for reference... all sorts of nightmares can be created by starting with a pile of parts.

The list above is the regulators part numbers?

413, I learned that lesson long ago while digging in the door of a 68 Lincoln.
Motor had been unbolted from regulator. I almost lost a thumb.

The list above is the regulators part numbers?

413, I learned that lesson long ago while digging in the door of a 68 Lincoln.
Motor had been unbolted from regulator. I almost lost a thumb.
The one listed in the interchange manual
http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/partscatalogs/50to65_Mopar_Parts_Interchange_Manual.zip
I only did a quick cruise through it... lack of interchange would raise a lot of doubt in my mind, but not stop me from trying. The interchange info only makes me think that it is likely to be a bolt on job... then you find a hole doesn't match or some such silliness.

It's good to have thumbs :lol:

Back