Interesting 65 300 "L" project on EBAY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very cool but there's no way he's getting $11K for it. If it was a 4 speed car, maybe. It appears the lower stainless trim is missing, at least on the right quarter. The stainless trim from the parts car is different because it isn't an "L". The standard 300 had different lower stainless trim. It is thinner on the "L". It will take at least $30K to restore that car. Probably more because the interior on the "L" is leather and it appears there are a lot of other missing parts such as the rear fiberglass interior panels/armrests. Cool project car but it only makes sense if you can get it for close to his opening bid price.

He's looking for 11,000 if some silly just has to have it today,,, but with no reserve, I imagine it will go for about 4000. If I had the indoor storage space and cash, I would seriously consider picking it up and stashing it away "just because"...

I never considered the 300L an honest to goodness Letter Car.

Why? They are different from the normal Chrysler and as limited compared to overall production as any of the others. Assuming you do,, why would you consider the the H, J or K... any of them built after the advent of the non-letter 300.

By '65, Chrysler, it was just a cosmetic package. Nothing more. Chrysler ruined their "Halo Car" and everything that it started out to be. Nothing wrong with having an "L". Just doesn't mean anything special... Just my opinion. Doesn't mean i would kick one out of my garage if i woke up and saw her in there...

By '65, Chrysler, it was just a cosmetic package. Nothing more. Chrysler ruined their "Halo Car" and everything that it started out to be. Nothing wrong with having an "L". Just doesn't mean anything special... Just my opinion. Doesn't mean i would kick one out of my garage if i woke up and saw her in there...

Good points, but one could really say pretty much the same thing about any 300 made from 1957 onward. They were all pretty much an off the shelf platform that was gussied up with trim and interior packages. After 1957 you couldn't really even say they were mechanically unique. If you knew which boxes to check, you could have the same mechanicals in a Windsor, Saratoga or non-letter (with the exception of 1963). From about 1959 on, after they standardized the engines, you could even do it to a Dodge, Plymouth or DeSoto.
There are many out there that consider the 1965 "L" a Halo Car, and I would think it fits the "Halo" discription.
I remember reading an article many years ago. In the article, the writer stated that the entire 1965 Chrysler model line should be considered Halo cars for Chrysler Corp. I realize that is just one writer's opinion and is just jounalistic license, but the 1965 Chrysler (and all Mopar lines for that matter) were something special when you think about it.
It marked a completely different direction for the company in terms of design, marketing and quality control. It pulled Chrysler out of the wild guessing, gambling, cost cutting, confusion and near desperation that had taken place during the last 4 or so years and could well have saved the company. 1965 sales for Chrysler jumped to around 176000 compared to about 146000 in 1964, and 1966 eclipsed 1965 sales by far. Dodge and Plymouth which historically had more choices and sold far more cars than Chrysler, fared even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back