Is this ignition box good or bad?

Kaim

Reaction score
Hi ! Looks like I will have to buy a new ignition box for my Chrysler. Is the brand PROFORM good or rubbish? The model i'm considering is the PROFORM 440-424.

We beat the hell out of ECU's here

Last edited:
"Proform" is the OEM-licensed company that now does the Mopar Perf electronic ignition conversion kits. Probably the same control box that comes in their kits.

In earlier times, they sold "bling" items at the auto supply chain stores. Now they are licensed to make OEM-branded items of such. I'm old enough to remember when their "bling" items were in the auto supplies, in all sorts of colors. Perhaps they had to get their act together to do better to get the OEM licenses and contracts? Not sure.

There's a somewhat recent thread in here on "replacement ign control boxes". You might find some guidance in those threads and illustrations.

In the past year or so, there have been several threads in here and other similar forums, about how new condensers and control modules have failed prematurely. The "fix" was an OEM item, from a salvage yard car, to replace them, many times. I realize that might not be possible in your location, though.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

"Proform" is the OEM-licensed company that now does the Mopar Perf electronic ignition conversion kits. Probably the same control box that comes in their kits.

In earlier times, they sold "bling" items at the auto supply chain stores. Now they are licensed to make OEM-branded items of such. I'm old enough to remember when their "bling" items were in the auto supplies, in all sorts of colors. Perhaps they had to get their act together to do better to get the OEM licenses and contracts? Not sure.

There's a somewhat recent thread in here on "replacement ign control boxes". You might find some guidance in those threads and illustrations.

In the past year or so, there have been several threads in here and other similar forums, about how new condensers and control modules have failed prematurely. The "fix" was an OEM item, from a salvage yard car, to replace them, many times. I realize that might not be possible in your location,

Here in Finland there are quite a lot of American cars, but very few in car
junkyard. I am quite tired of these Chinese products. I'm sure there are similar feelings on the other side of the ocean :)

On this side of things, many of the older salvage yards have been sold (by their inheritors) and scrapped-out or are several hundred miles from many of us.

Another issue is that many of the older, privately-held companies are now part of bigger companies, some of which are owned by hedge funds. A majority of the old-line "famous" companies of the 1960s and 1970s are mostly held by TWO such "owners". Generally, though, they seem to be doing well maintaining their prior levels of quality, although produced "world-wide" as the companies are now global in orientation.

In the earlier times, there were several "lower-level" USA brands made in the USA. People generally knew which ones were OEM-spec or above and which were "get me by" brands (at lower prices). Well before China or other oriental nations started to produce car parts for the USA market. Only thing is that in more-current times, many of the people who knew was were "USA Value Brands" or which ones were not, have or are not around any more, so new consumers have to learn these things by trial and error. With Chinese products being one area of displeasure.

By observation, "China" can produce good items or not-so-good items, as they produce "to a contracted price", just as USA brands do. Even OEM brands themselves. Included in the price quotes should also be a section on "expected warranty returns", I suspect. Meaning that a certain percentage of items are expected to fail. Knowing or suspecting THAT issue can be important. BUT this can lead to a different conversation, for another time.

You might look in Rock Auto to see what's available there, as to brands and such. Might even be some Euro brands that you might get close to you? Standard Ignition seems to be a big OEM-alternative brand, as they have bought up many smaller competitors over the past years. Also a company "Wells" might be considered, too.

Take care,
CBODY67

If chinese product, buy two. Install one and leave one in the trunk as a spare (along with the original). Then You have 2 spare units when chinese box fails.

I have found that You can still find original boxes in swap meets in Finland. Buy every one if You see them.

If chinese product, buy two. Install one and leave one in the trunk as a spare (along with the original). Then You have 2 spare units when chinese box fails.

I have found that You can still find original boxes in swap meets in Finland. Buy every one if You see them.
I will. Good idea, thanks!

I usually have alot of Real nos or NOS ECU's. Only issue is I am at Carlisle till Monday. Hit me up after that if you still need one and they are also tested on a real tester.

I currently have 5...... yes 5 spares in the trunk of my car. I am on my 4th since installing a conversion kit, 7 years ago. The 1 that came with the kit lasted 2 months. I only had 2 spares until Carlisle 3 years ago. A vendor had 3 old Direct Connection boxes still in the original packaging. He wanted $45 apiece. I got them all for $100.

Back