is this joke?

Kaim

Reaction score
Lot of good parts......

1970_300_to_scrap.jpg

I guess I'm naive, but what scam could this be?
if you look at the condition of the car, you can already get $500 for the front bumper. It's a pretty bad deal to scrap when you get a lot of dollars for the parts. Of course, it may be that money is not the most important thing. It's a shame that such a good spare car was scrapped.

It's a lot of hassle to part-out a car, or really to sell anything on Marketplace or Kijiji, so I get why he'd just dump the whole thing. If buyers weren't a-holes, with "Is this still available?" and persistent ghosting, it'd make sellers' lives much easier!

Scrappers gonna scrap. Most of them keep it moving. Many if not most do not have any storage or processing area. If they are on to a honey hole they have to keep making hauls to make money.

I tried to talk a guy out of the line one morning as they were all waiting for the yard to open when I drove by. I told him I'd pay double for a truck he has on the trailer. Tried to convince him If we went to my house he would get unloaded faster.

He thought about for a minute then I lost him he wanted to stick with what worked he was in line and in his familiar loop.

Seen a square body chev 4x4 on a guys trailer Sunday night. I was on a script run for the wife and planned to go back. I knew he would be at the yard on Monday morning.

Of course I forgot.. another one gone.
I saved a different one though..
If I Had time and space I would try to do more.

I worked at the regions largest metal recycled for a month or two on process piping systems. The stuf going through the shred was sickening.

if you look at the condition of the car, you can already get $500 for the front bumper. It's a pretty bad deal to scrap when you get a lot of dollars for the parts. Of course, it may be that money is not the most important thing. It's a shame that such a good spare car was scrapped.
It would be hard to get $500 for that front bumper... It might happen, but you also might sit on it for years.

As @Rustyrodknocker said, they want to push this stuff through and make the money quick. In business, you can either get the slow dime or the fast nickel. Go for the fast nickel if you want to make money.

As far as the price, I think scrap is about $150 a ton here. So, 2 tons of scrap Chrysler might get you $300USD. With the engine and trans gone, you'd be down to $225. So, if someone takes the entire car for $500, he's money ahead.

We all have different sensitivities for these things as we are in the car hobby. We see that straight bumper, that side molding, etc. as opportunities to help others out who might need those parts. Valid point! But if we did remove those parts for that "somebody will need this person", we might sit on it for years, move it around, until it kind of becomes a part of the family other family members don't like or see the use in keeping. So, it gets to the recycling yard anyway, despite our best efforts and desires.

If we decide to part the car ourselves, then a partial vehicle on the property can quickly become a code compliance violation, if in a municipal jurisdiction. And ALL that can imply. Even if "out in the country", in a few years, you'll have neighbors who might not understand why "that junk car" is on your property in THE VIEW of THEIR new kitchen window, or similar. No matter you were there first!

I see cars/pickup trucks listed on FB Marketplace which are specifically for parts. Mostly newer stuff with a bad engine or some body damage for cars that are not worth much money anyway. Still, we know they will end up in a salvage operation, possibly.

Two things . . . if the seller just wants the car gone, for whatever reason, taking it to the crusher is the best option to get it out of his life. OR end a saga of sorts in their life. Just get it gone and be done with it. Then to get on with things.

Perhaps a "better way forward" could be with a salvage operation as CoPart, where the cars are auctioned off, nationally, so they might have a better chance of getting to a better place for parts going to another vehicle or rebuilt themselves. Even so, the normal person still knows "scrapyard" and "crusher". Others are not aware of other options.

About an hour away from me is a vintage salvage yard, Browne Auto Salvage, which has over 3000 cars. Many rebuildable, most from the 1970s back, with some into the 1930s. They normally get cars in regularly or they go out on trailers to other vintage car auctions. They have a FB page and have indicated some rare vehicles, like a '67 Imperial conv and a '66 Newport 440TNT convertible (with tilt wheel). All pretty much complete. Apparently lots of in and out sales! There are other such salvage yards around in the TX area, too! Fortunately, he's far enough out "in the sticks" it can be a good while before the small town he's adjacent to grows to any real amount to encroach upon his property. And he lives on the property, too. Ever know of a '62 Olds 88 Limo? He has one.

The bad thing is that we can't save them all and all are not worth saving.

Take care,
CBODY67

Surely You in the US look at older American cars scrapping from a different perspective. I explained it from the point of view of Finnish MoPar car enthusiasts. Here you have to pay a fortune for used parts and therefore scrapping a car like the 300 is pointless, at least here.

Surely You in the US look at older American cars scrapping from a different perspective. I explained it from the point of view of Finnish MoPar car enthusiasts. Here you have to pay a fortune for used parts and therefore scrapping a car like the 300 is pointless, at least here.
We do have an expression "One man's trash is another man's treasure". The trick is finding the person that treasures it.

We do have an expression "One man's trash is another man's treasure". The trick is finding the person that treasures it.
We in Texas consider any "rust" as bad, yet somebody from "the northern climates" looks at it as "no big deal", unless you can stick your head through it.

A friend used to sell Tri-5 Chevy sheet metal from cars he'd part out/scrap to a guy that came to TX to harvest such. Dwayne told him he had some fenders that were "rusty", but when the OH guy saw them, he was "no big deal" and paid for them. Different perspectives!

This was well before the Saturday morning cable car shows which indicated that most anybody with some good fab skills and some appropriate metal-bending equipment, "can make rust disappear". Now, there are many YouTube vids on such.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

When I first got here I parted a 70 300 coupe
I made about $1500 and still have many parts left over.
I’m a scrap and salvage guy as a hobby.
I go to the scrapyard 2-3 times a week.
I bring car bodies in on a regular basis.
In California you have to have all paperwork in order to dispose of car bodies legally.
A 70 300 without M/T scraps for about $200

How much is the disc brake set worth?
8 3/4 rearend?
15’ disc brake rims?
Bucket seats?

it's a shame this stuff gets recycled at all
Unfortunately many cars are lost to lack of ambition and total ignorance.

Many cars get tore apart by people who have no idea how much time and money it takes to do the work they want. Many cars are lost due to nothing more than losing the documents associated with the ownership.

I cringe when I see some of the stuff in Canada getting smashed these days. The stuff got spared probably due to distance from markets. Now it's worth bundling.

They are crushing 100 year old stuff.

Start a conversation with the guy, you will figure out if it's a scam pretty quickly.

I stumbled across this one on C Body Mopar Parts Exchange group on FB today. It was listed for $500 and listed as sold. Here are a few more pics:

(wow, gas is $2 a liter in BC? That's Krazy)

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Yea buddy she is roached looks a little musty inside but a bunch of salvageable stuff in sure. Can't tell if the windshield is good. But that would be a score.

Seemed legit to me. I messaged with the guy for a while.
If he is a scammer then he was difficult to call out.
Redford Leeroy Zheng Member of fakebook since 2011

Back