kelsey hayes brake setup?

Wonderwagon

Reaction score
Basic, donor 69 chyrsler wagon. I looked at the parts book, studied it seemed like the Kelsey-Hayes set ups had a bridge brake line between the two halves of the Calipers, and the rotors are two pieces. One being the lug nut studs/ hub. The other, the Disc brake rotor. Did I miss the entire picture and make a rookie mistake, pics for more clarity of what I came back with. Let me know if more pics will help, or was it a mixed set up

20170525_182855.jpg

20170525_183001.jpg

20170525_182908.jpg

20170525_182922.jpg

From what I see in the pictures you have the single piston sliding caliper design. These are the ones you want to use, not the fixed four piston ones. The rotors were the two piece design, but the new 5300 rotor comes as a "Unicast design" and eliminated the problems of the earlier ones. Both rotors use the same wheel bearings.

I based the purchase decision on comparing the Calipers drawing in the parts book. One had the transfer tube, that enabels brake fluid to flow, between the two halves of the four piston caliper setup, these do not. When I received the Disc brake setups, one was undercut around the hub that has the wheel studs (caused my concern), the other looked like unicast rotors. I had also gone to the Rock Auto site, and used the Chrysler, 69, model,383, brake & wheel hub search; and found the available rotors, which lead me to believe they were good. However, as stated the look of the one rotor, made me think again. Looking at the Service manual, shows three caliper designs, The Kealsey-Hayes with the external transfer tube pg 5-26, Bendix pg 5-36 with a Caliper showing two "windows" at the top of the housing, and a Kelsey-Hayes (floating caliper) pg 5-44, as they call it. Or as I found after the fact a reference here calling it a wide mouth. Once I saw the last two items late last night I hoped I was good, it seems traintech55, confirms this based on what he sees in the photos. For the newly clarified/ educated, myself, it seems, years 69-72, 73 prefered due to larger bearing size/ rotor availablity, the single piston Kelsey-Hayes wide mouth or the FSM description "floating caliper" design is needed for the upgrade. The rotors are a third factor, because they share the design elements of a separate hub-lug and rotor 69-72?, which will be replaced with the new 5300 rotors? or the Raybestos 7012R one xmatch, which are currently out of stock.

I based the purchase decision on comparing the Calipers drawing in the parts book. One had the transfer tube, that enabels brake fluid to flow, between the two halves of the four piston caliper setup, these do not. When I received the Disc brake setups, one was undercut around the hub that has the wheel studs (caused my concern), the other looked like unicast rotors. I had also gone to the Rock Auto site, and used the Chrysler, 69, model,383, brake & wheel hub search; and found the available rotors, which lead me to believe they were good. However, as stated the look of the one rotor, made me think again. Looking at the Service manual, shows three caliper designs, The Kealsey-Hayes with the external transfer tube pg 5-26, Bendix pg 5-36 with a Caliper showing two "windows" at the top of the housing, and a Kelsey-Hayes (floating caliper) pg 5-44, as they call it. Or as I found after the fact a reference here calling it a wide mouth. Once I saw the last two items late last night I hoped I was good, it seems traintech55, confirms this based on what he sees in the photos. For the newly clarified/ educated, myself, it seems, years 69-72, 73 prefered due to larger bearing size/ rotor availablity, the single piston Kelsey-Hayes wide mouth or the FSM description "floating caliper" design is needed for the upgrade. The rotors are a third factor, because they share the design elements of a separate hub-lug and rotor 69-72?, which will be replaced with the new 5300 rotors? or the Raybestos 7012R one xmatch, which are currently out of stock.
When I upgraded my 66 300 I used the 72 spindles with the 5300 rotors. Works great.

Kinda concerned, because the Centric rotors are the only ones available currently their Qualty is good?
They're probably as good as most today, if the parts don't come damaged or previously installed you should be fine.

As to "floating calipers". The single piston designs are all floating calipers... the 4 piston could apply from both sides, the single has to have a caliper that "floats" so it can clamp both sides from the force applied on only one. JIC you were thinking that was a particular identifier of the system your looking at.

Use the spindles, replace the rest... good luck with your conversion.

Sorting it out, trying to put into context of the FSM, for myself and others, learned a bit from this. Its too bad that, along with the good sumations, about the conversion. There are not photo archives for this type of stuff, often as we know the FSM reprints photo quality isn't great and the parts manual is line drawings.

Sorting it out, trying to put into context of the FSM, for myself and others, learned a bit from this. Its too bad that, along with the good sumations, about the conversion. There are not photo archives for this type of stuff, often as we know the FSM reprints photo quality isn't great and the parts manual is line drawings.
It would be great to have lots of detailed pics and all of the best highlights from numerous threads in one place... I wouldn't want to be the one to do that though. @Ross Wooldridge did it best with his effort. There are just that many variables that would be hard to address because this was an era of change and so many different systems and components were used.

Thanks, cantflip, traintech55 for your knowledge, we'll see how trying todo a spindle rebuild goes away from home in Los Angeles. Next move foe the $.

Back