Lighting for Engine/Driveline Undercar Work

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
My halogen bulb light, see below, made a long hissing noise and the socket burnt up on one side. I like the floor stand type lights that allow me to angle the light anyway I want. But I don't have to go that way. What's new or great out there in the world of lighting that helps you see when lying under the car? thanks
20171216_131513.jpg

20171216_131525.jpg

I'm sure you're looking for a bigger light, and I am too so I'm interested in what others will say, but these "lil' Larry" lights are awesome for working under a car or in tight spaces. They have a strong magnet base and a bright light.
806373Hero.jpg

My halogen bulb light, see below, made a long hissing noise and the socket burnt up on one side. I like the floor stand type lights that allow me to angle the light anyway I want. But I don't have to go that way. What's new or great out there in the world of lighting that helps you see when lying under the car? thanks
View attachment 157246
View attachment 157247

I have a couple of cheap versions of this light, and I find this kind of light works pretty well under the car or under the hood:

250 Lumen Premium Headband LED Light - Garrett Wade

Thanks Jeff, I'll probably head over to Lowes to pick up one of those LED worklights

But Ripinator, the headlight is a good idea, it could take care of shadows and penetrate crevices. That's neat. Wonder how the comfort is, if you've got to rest the back of your head on the concrete? Is there some padding around that plastic box?

I made my own lights using these LED light. Most LED lights don't come even close to the brightness of the old halogen. I want/need the what is equal to 500 watts. These 50 watt LED are equal. I can buy threaded black pipe of various lengths from my hardware store or stock. I made a simple base out of 2 by 4s.

I use a coupling to mount the light to the black pipe and a flange screwed into my wood base. I buy a cheap extension cord to wire the light. This is cheaper if you want a nice 5 foot light to shine on the engine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BEHTVWU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have looked around they finally make a reasonably price work light. I will never buy another halogen. This would cheaper for one sitting on the ground.

https://www.amazon.com/Tacklife-Lum...id=1513478826&sr=1-11&keywords=led+work+light

Last edited:
I bought this 1000 lumen model from Lowes for $14.98. Good lighting, but don't look directly into it or you'll see a small circle of little lights for a while. Since I didn't spend much money, I bought a 72 tooth Kobalt 3/8 ratchet too. Thanks for your suggestions!
20171221_151444.jpg

Try not to go blind....
Thanks, Stan, I'll do my best. It's hard to remember to turn the light before looking at something near it. Forget once, and I see dots for a while. I just needed something to shine upward so I could see to put the header trim back together. $15 was cheap and convenient. I probably need to buy something nicer, with a frosted lens.
Costco has a LED folding light that won't start in fires....
View attachment 158109
That won't start in fires? Don't understand the comment, but great looking light!

Back