Logo eagle and trims on bucket seats

jet1969

Reaction score
I am redoing the leather of my 1971 bucket seats. It costs me a fortune but the leather is hard, ripped and beyond repair. The headrest of the bucket seat has an eagle with a sort of a crown ornament around it. If I want it back in the new leather the only possibiltiy is to computer stitch it in the leather the upholsterer told me. To do so they need a digital example of the eagle with the crown ornament.

Can somebody help me getting this eagle with the crown ornament around it digital or a drawing? Or do you have another suggestion in getting this stamped in the leather again?
71_Imperial_7 trim code interieur MR circle.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

Also the trim is gone, any suggestions where to get these one or replica?
IMG_0458.JPG

IMG_0460.JPG

I suspect that finding a shop which could emboss the design onto the new leather might be a trick. Having to make the tool and dies to do that would be expensive.

Might get it digitized at a shop that does embroidery for car club jackets and such. But that many holes in the leather would weaken it and possibly even cut it. in the sewing process. On the jackets, they use a stiffer backing fabric piece to strengthen the base fabric they are putting the design on.

Might see if somebody can digitize the design and then DYE the leather with the design. Which would mean building silkscreens to do that deal. Then you could buy the used screens. Sealing the dyed leather might be a trick.

As to the woodgrain trim, I know the silver/chrome items are in repro from the B-body repro vendors for years. Not sure if they'd work on your Y-car, but might be long enough to replace the woodgrain-inset items you now have. Might see if a vehicle wrap place can find something very similar to the woodgrain pattern and then apply the strips over the chrome items to replicate the OEM look?

Take care,
CBODY67

I am redoing the leather of my 1971 bucket seats. It costs me a fortune but the leather is hard, ripped and beyond repair. The headrest of the bucket seat has an eagle with a sort of a crown ornament around it. If I want it back in the new leather the only possibiltiy is to computer stitch it in the leather the upholsterer told me. To do so they need a digital example of the eagle with the crown ornament.

Can somebody help me getting this eagle with the crown ornament around it digital or a drawing? Or do you have another suggestion in getting this stamped in the leather again?
View attachment 655116
View attachment 655124

Also the trim is gone, any suggestions where to get these one or replica?
View attachment 655126

View attachment 655128
Could the upholstery shop incorporate your old head panel into the new redo?

I agree the top of the original bucket seat should be incorporated into the new seat when they get redone. That part of the seat didn't get too much wear.
However, finding leather to match the color of the 53 year old material may be hard to do. Maybe it could be dyed.

I agree with above comments about reusing your top pieces. A place that sells vinyl dies may be able to match the new color if necessary.

I'll bet that section isn't leather. Often, it's just a section of the seat and back and then it's trimmed in vinyl.

Looking at the picture, that upper embossed section has a torn seam, which kind of points to vinyl rather than leather. It might be tough to reuse it... But a good upholstery guy might be able to work it in. It's going to depend on the condition otherwise.

A good upholsterer should be able to fix that cover up as long as you're ok with it looking not 100% stock. The beading is shot, so most of the stitching will need to be cut and the beading replaced with new beading. The missing chunk could have a new small strip of beading that creates a triangle shape to save the original embossment. It's alot of work, but I agree that detail is worth saving. Of course you would want to do a similar, symmetrical repair on the other seatback, hopefully it's not in much worse shape.

Screenshot_20240412-093451~3.png

Perhaps the 12Noon orientations for both dots coincide with the #1 cylinder being at TDC in its bore (12Noon)? Or the simplicity of looking at the centerlines of the cam bolt and crankshaft bolt without parallax interfering?

Perhaps the 12Noon orientations for both dots coincide with the #1 cylinder being at TDC in its bore (12Noon)? Or the simplicity of looking at the centerlines of the cam bolt and crankshaft bolt without parallax interfering?

Sorry... Just had to...

I'll bet that section isn't leather. Often, it's just a section of the seat and back and then it's trimmed in vinyl.

Looking at the picture, that upper embossed section has a torn seam, which kind of points to vinyl rather than leather. It might be tough to reuse it... But a good upholstery guy might be able to work it in. It's going to depend on the condition otherwise.
Actually the headrest with the eagle ornament is leather and to hard to be re used. Very disappointing….They can do all kind of patch works and the chair is 60% vinyl and 40% leather is my wild guess.

First it is very hard to find the right color green leather. Maybe it can be spray painted in the right color. But it will cost more.

Second if they have to do patch work it takes more hours and they can not guarantee the old leather will hold cause it is dry and hard. They can not make it flexible again and even if the use a part of the leather which is “fresh” they can not guarantee it will hold…. Maybe you know a wonder” fluid “ to make it flexible? The upholstery said it doesn’t exists. ( they do classic cars for more than 70 years)

The price of redoing the chairs in leather are very steep in my opinion but I would like to restore it in a nice way including the eagle ornament and the woodgrain molding……

By the way :Any suggestions about the woodgrain molding?

Back