My first BUDD caliper experience

stain

Reaction score
I went to take my 68 New Yorker for a ride yesterday and discovered brake fluid coming out or the right caliper upper inside piston. I could see the leak when moving the piston manually on the bench.
The P.O. had installed new front rotors and ( I assume reman) calipers before I purchased the vehicle. I have probably put at least 1000 miles on the car since purchase with no issues.
I removed and disassembled the caliper expecting to find a torn piston seal or a pitted piston bore.
To my surprise the seal looked O.K. as did the bore. I was surprised to see how thin the seal is vs. other calipers I have rebuilt.
I cleaned all parts, reassembled and reinstalled caliper with the proper assembly grease. Vacuum bled the system and checked for leaks. None found. I went for a test drive and again checked for leaks with none found. Checked the caliper before going to work today and again, no leaks.
Is this something that is common on these calipers? A weak spot? A piece of debris between the seal and piston? Maybe the seal was installed incorrectly?
I am not sure I really trust this caliper now. I like the originality BUT if there is a better, more dependable, bolt on option I am all ears.
My wife drives this car also and want the safest set up I can get.

If it was a Dorman type reman they are very much known to have issues more times than not.
I go with stainless steel sleeved calipers from calipersonline.com
They may even have them on the shelf ready to go.

I am not sure who the vendor was.
R1 concepts also lists calipers for this application but I am not sure what kind of quality they provide.
The more I think about it, the more I think there was a piece of debris between the seal and bore. Still not confidence inspiring.

I did the one on my 69 imperial once. Same leak due to debris between seal. I did not find any parts for them unless a set of "new" rubber seal right from mexico or china.. the were so awful that i put the 40 years old ones back and no more leaks. Gravity bleeding and it was it.
I think i have a set a front caliper somewere.

Back