Need help with thread size

spstan

Reaction score
On the water pump housing (440 (7.2 L) engine) there's two fittings (like nipples) that screw into the housing and provide for the heater hoses to attach to the housing. Does anyone know the tread size of these fittings? Cause I'm thinking of going to Home Depot and looking for some brass fittings that will screw in the housing so that I can attach the heater hoses.

Even better is if anyone has a part number for these fittings so I don't have to take a chance on Home Depot. Thanks Paul

On the water pump housing (440 (7.2 L) engine) there's two fittings (like nipples) that screw into the housing and provide for the heater hoses to attach to the housing. Does anyone know the tread size of these fittings? Cause I'm thinking of going to Home Depot and looking for some brass fittings that will screw in the housing so that I can attach the heater hoses.

Even better is if anyone has a part number for these fittings so I don't have to take a chance on Home Depot. Thanks Paul
With your car, one will be 3/8 NPT and the other will be 1/2 NPT. The 3/8 NPT fitting is for the 1/2" hose and the 1/2 NPT is for the 5/8" hose.

The outside diameter of the pipe above the threads will be ~.675" for the 3/8 NPT and ~.840" for the 1/2 NPT if you'd like to double check.

NPT= National Pipe Thread. Pipe threads are tapered rather than straight.
1717432797749.png

Earlier cars used one hose size.

Going to Home Depot might not get you what you really need though. You might be able to get something cobbled together to fit the hoses, but once all is said and done, you are going to be better off buying the reproduction hose nipples. Given the prices I've seen in the box stores for simple fittings, there's not going to be a lot of money savings, if any, by using generic fittings.

With your car, one will be 3/8 NPT and the other will be 1/2 NPT. The 3/8 NPT fitting is for the 1/2" hose and the 1/2 NPT is for the 5/8" hose.

The outside diameter of the pipe above the threads will be ~.675" for the 3/8 NPT and ~.840" for the 1/2 NPT if you'd like to double check.

NPT= National Pipe Thread. Pipe threads are tapered rather than straight.
View attachment 664383

Earlier cars used one hose size.

Going to Home Depot might not get you what you really need though. You might be able to get something cobbled together to fit the hoses, but once all is said and done, you are going to be better off buying the reproduction hose nipples. Given the prices I've seen in the box stores for simple fittings, there's not going to be a lot of money savings, if any, by using generic fittings.
Thanks for the quick replies Welder and Big. I believe you're right. Last time I bought brass fittings at Home Depot I couldn't believe the prices. Paul

Back