Need tranny info

mopar Joe 65

Reaction score
Hi guys, could someone tell me if all 727 tf tranny's are cable shift ? I have a 65 plymouth fury 3 but the motor and trans is a 68 383 auto, i want to install a floor shifter but dont know what kind to get ? I would appreciate any info. Thanks

Hi guys, could someone tell me if all 727 tf tranny's are cable shift ? I have a 65 plymouth fury 3 but the motor and trans is a 68 383 auto, i want to install a floor shifter but dont know what kind to get ? I would appreciate any info. Thanks

The '62-'65 transmissions are cable shift. The '66 and later units are hard linkage, so you should need a floor shifter or console for the hard linkage transmission. Hurst still makes the floor shifter, but is not cheap. Last time I looked they were about $200

Dave

If yous is original, one of the cables shifts the actual gears and the other cable is for PARK engagement. I had to go to a '71 tranny with the internal parking rod in order to use an aftermarket shifter. I don't believe anyone makes a two cable aftermarket shifter but I could be in error.

If yous is original, one of the cables shifts the actual gears and the other cable is for PARK engagement. I had to go to a '71 tranny with the internal parking rod in order to use an aftermarket shifter. I don't believe anyone makes a two cable aftermarket shifter but I could be in error.

Hurst shows shifter #3160014 as acceptable on the fitment chart for the '65 cable transmission. Have not checked to see if is currently available.

Dave

Thanks Dave, i dont have a console i have a bench seat i want to keep, i was looking at the lokar shifters with the long handle but dont know which one to get ?

Thanks Dave, i dont have a console i have a bench seat i want to keep, i was looking at the lokar shifters with the long handle but dont know which one to get ?

If you have a '68 transmission with the lever shift, you will need the shifter that is appropriate for that unit. Another option if you have access to a "66 donor car, you could swap out your steering column for the one in the '66. That way you would not need to bother with the floor shift. The '66 column and linkage would be a bolt in upgrade. (you might need to use the '66 instrument cluster, as the gear indicator might be different)

Dave

Thanks for the info, i might consider that ? I was also looking at a B&M floor mount shifter it comes with a cable but didnt say anything about brackets though ?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, i might consider that ? I was also looking at a B&M floor mount shifter it comes with a cable but didnt say anything about brackets though ?

Most of the time those will come as a complete kit, but it is always good to check with customer service to be sure.

Dave

I have a B&M Quicksilver in my '65 and they come complete and ready to install. The cable is a 5 footer which is a bit long and requires you to snake it around the starter and under the left manifold. You will no doubt have to buy a four footer or end up with a pretty tight bend in the cable which makes for hard gear selection change. It comes with every bracket known to man so you can attach it to any brand of transmission. It does not come with a second cable so you'll still have to figure out how to engage PARK if you keep the original cable-shift transmission.

Thanks yatzee, i think i will go with the quick silver the say it comes with a 5 foot cable but they also sell a 3 or 4 foot cable, do you think a 3 foot is to short ? Or should i go with the 4 ? Also do i have to worry about a park cable on a 68 tranny ?

Thanks yatzee, i think i will go with the quick silver the say it comes with a 5 foot cable but they also sell a 3 or 4 foot cable, do you think a 3 foot is to short ? Or should i go with the 4 ? Also do i have to worry about a park cable on a 68 tranny ?
There is no cable on 68 trans lever only, you my need to refill the hole in the lever to work with shifter.

Back