New vinyl top

themam2000k

Reaction score
I recently joined the forum and posted a few pics of my new beast. My question is there a place that I can purchase a new vinyl top?

The car is a 69 Newport Custom 4dr hardtop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

I've had good luck with products from this guy - mind you I've never bought a vinyl top from him, but all the other stuff I've bought is excellent.

Here is a link to his vinyl top auction
1969-1971 Chrysler Newport 300 Hardtop Roof Vinyl Top | eBay

I know the auction is for a 2 door, but you can get 4 door ones.

Check too with your local auto upholstery guys - they deal with the wholesale end of things, and have good connections.

The original vinyl top fabric was thicker and had a more substantial base backing than what's been available for several decades. The current stuff is called "gause back", as the original was more like "canvas back". The grain of the fabric looks the same. I believe it should be "Boar Grain"? GM used the "Levant Grain", which was the finer grain. You can also verify the width between the flat "seams", for general principles.

Getting the freshest fabric is good to do. Chrysler OEM tops came in a box, folded up. After 40+ years of being folded, I somewhat doubt they'd flatten back out again.

In a thread on dual snorkel air cleaners for 1971 Plymouths, there's a link to the Hamtramk Registry. They have a page of icons for the Dealer Data Book and Color and Trim, which would have the swatch of the correct grain of roof, name and color. Plus LOTS of other information for each model year, up to 1979.

Getting a new top will make the car look much better. Getting it sealed along the drip rail pinch weld (removed and replaced) is something to ask about at the install shop. Plus making sure they use the best glue to keep it glued down (not bubbling p at speed). Plus what they plan to use as the underlayment prep of the metal and such. Might find some hidden rust in the quarter panel joints and around the rear window lower section when everything is stripped off.

CBODY67

I bought mine for my 69 2-dr Newport from Dante. He gets them from Legendary. I was very satisfied with the fit and finish. Dante will take the time talk to you and he actually cares!

Mopar Parts For Sale | Restoration Parts for Classic Muscle Cars

DSC07638.JPG

DSC07648.JPG

I use this cleaner and it works great. It does not leave any residue

lexol_vinylex_0.jpg

Thank you very much for all the replies. Would the car look strange if I did not put the top back on? I was looking at pics and it seemed like all the Newports came with a vinyl top.

Thank you very much for all the replies. Would the car look strange if I did not put the top back on? I was looking at pics and it seemed like all the Newports came with a vinyl top.

No, not at all. Actually, my Newport came from the factory with a painted top. The dealer added the vinyl later on :(

As many will attest, a vinyl top is a rust breeding ground unfortunately.

Both my Monacos came with vinyl tops, although you could order them with no vinyl top, in a contrasting colour, or same colour throughout.

I elected to delete the vinyl top on the turquoise car because I loved the colour. I left the little pieces at the tops of the A pillars just in case I decided to put the vinyl back on.
CROP 1.jpg

On my red car I will be restoring it with a vinyl roof. Too much red otherwise.
Red Dodge Pics 009 copy.jpg

Either way, your car will look beautiful!

I recently joined the forum and posted a few pics of my new beast. My question is there a place that I can purchase a new vinyl top?

The car is a 69 Newport Custom 4dr hardtop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Give us a couple pictures of your car and top!!! We love Eye candy and car ****. Lol

Back