image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Located in the foothills town of North Wilkesboro, NC Just west of Winston-Salem, NC this track is right smack on I40 (tobacco road) it has deteriorated so badly that it's becoming an eyesore to people travelling the busy interstate. The legendary track built in an era of moonshiners has a resume of who's who of the Hall of Famer's that have raced & won here. When you drive by it at 80 mph you are reminded of NASCAR'S great past & uncertain future. These pics are recent

I remember watching races there on tv when NASCAR was still somewhere near the realm of stock. Drive by there a few times about 5 years ago and didn't notice til I was too late, and the girlfriend didn't want to "waste time" stopping to check it out.

They have a decent 1/8 mile drag strip in North Wilkesboro. Right on the side of a hill. It's kinda of a neat place. Anyway I just found out they are having a Don Carlton memorial race there in August. They are trying to book some vintage Pro Stock cars & the drivers to do some exhibition runs. I have that on my schedule of events. So if I make that I'll try to stop by the old NASCAR track & see it one more time before it completely crumbles away

image.jpeg
Pit road # 72 Benny Parsons, # 71 Dave Marcus, #11 Cale Yarborough, #88 Darrell Waltrip, and the #12 AMC Matadore of Bobby Allison

image.jpeg
This gas station/convenient store near North Wilkesboro displaying an old Jimmy Spencer Taurus. Back in the 80's a lot of small business would buy old NASCAR cars to display & to welcome NASCAR fans. It got so popular that city & town ordinances where enforced & put an end to that. Some of the displays looked better than others.

Back