For Sale Not Mine - Turquoise 1972 Sport Suburban in NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmoparjeff

Reaction score
Contact seller
Quite unusual if this car left the factory in Q5 Coral Turquoise Metallic. Repaint is a bit lighter than original and some of the jambs almost look blue, but I believe it's Q5. Turquoise often looks bluer in photos for some reason.

Going by the somewhat baked interior, which the selling dealer is overly optimistic about it's condition, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a rust free western car.

Overpriced as usual, but I thought it was worth posting.

1972 Plymouth Fury Sport suburban wagon $12,883

c_oc=AQlf2hLuj3lVEObQYN-7PedQmg4IsbU8NcvhM8JQt9tynWQh14x15lvQoI9OkrK6Wbo&_nc_ht=scontent.fphl2-4.jpg

c_oc=AQnhZGxfPkIE89z8A6jdFtaNEJg6ax6oHy_js6U_nkS4k_zo7EoQfp3r837NNO5J0jc&_nc_ht=scontent.fphl2-2.jpg

c_oc=AQkLHNdSPPKYbzi6Yf45qfOY3hYszaFdCZ-P27eRTgLJPH8yO0C_GMv45kl0eCm0H2I&_nc_ht=scontent.fphl2-3.jpg

c_oc=AQkyJdOZHOS3RNG9o4NV3TprhwD-93hBFgmCjx5NFSpbzVnC7OZ0Xhpw1cdvMc1_-Rs&_nc_ht=scontent.fphl2-4.jpg

c_oc=AQnS2At8acA3eeDOnC-L-Ztb8lLKLJVBuzb6rBsCNOrtRGcNBGFLwYU0ShnxSp3JMp4&_nc_ht=scontent.fphl2-1.jpg

c_oc=AQkbHagzEQjkBXStrJjoT9ziyCCtA0FiF4Y9BRyhQMtXzXFHsKn0fx4Xqn9e1jtmQ3M&_nc_ht=scontent.fphl2-3.jpg

c_oc=AQmbRLECow6nC6LdYpPaqxXpgeL1AR4b-uFdme7iqULgWPy9EInTA77l110CFA0bCvQ&_nc_ht=scontent.fphl2-1.jpg

Seller's description
Woodie wagon Vintage rare vehicle 360 V8 A/C super clean 80korig super clean in and out .. hide away headlights work perfect, georgous shiny paint and perfect woodgrain , super nice interior, A/C car rear facing third row seating , whitewall tires , runs and drives 100% , no rust be the standout at any local carshow , and the main attraction at you local beaches

5 Star Auto Sales
680 Newbridge Rd.
East Meadow, NY 11554

(516) 221-4448

Last edited:
lovely car at first glance. But when I see the crumbled dash and the dirty old cargo department I ask myself whether that shiny paintjob and
new upholstery is just covering the bad stuff... Needs close inspection for sure but could be worth it !

I absolutely love that color, what a great wagon!

It's in East Meadow, I live about 25 min away if anyone wants a closer look, I can go.

I like the color, very unique, but it looks like a frankenstein job on the interior. I had the same color interior on my 73, fawn or sand...not sure what it's called. But the carpet is black, the lower doors are the fawn color .. The dash and steering wheel don't match...but the center horn and the plate directly under the steering column match the door panel. The dash and rest of console match the color of the rear cargo area.. painted?

No engine pics and if this was a true Long Island car...it has bondo and lots of it.

Price is very high.

That wagon is freaking awesome!!! Only thing wrong (in my opinion) is the small block. If it had a 400 4 barrel or 440, perfection.

lovely car at first glance. But when I see the crumbled dash and the dirty old cargo department I ask myself whether that shiny paintjob and
new upholstery is just covering the bad stuff... Needs close inspection for sure but could be worth it !
Dash pad I get, and the cargo area just needs a good cleaning. Should the seller have done that, sure, but that's nothing that can't be fixed in minutes.

PP46K2D133801 must have been stunning when she was new and all the colors matched. I am more worried about what I see in the headliner (and the missing window trim) and the pitting of the dome light:

252ebb2659_800.jpg

The photos above and below suggest that the driver's seat may have been redone -- may be good or bad, to be seen in person. As pointed out by @James Romano, the carpets don't match:

80f7f20f90_800.jpg

PS: The Dynoc also seems to have been replaced.

Another one for your collection Matt? Good bit of room for shop supplies. Probably get it for $ 9500 to $10500.

Certainly hope someone can buy and enjoy it, maybe a future new forum member.

Was that a popular color back then?
Um no. While I like to see this wagon and it’s great color combo I could never get past my thing I have against a full B-pillar on a 4 door of any kind.

is Q5 different than FQ5? The Q5 seems lighter blue than FQ5.

My first car, which was the family car, was a 71 Custom Suburban. I did some body work on it (usual places, the dog leg behind the front doors and the bottoms of the front and rear fenders), and I could swear the code was FQ5.

is Q5 different than FQ5? The Q5 seems lighter blue than FQ5.

My first car, which was the family car, was a 71 Custom Suburban. I did some body work on it (usual places, the dog leg behind the front doors and the bottoms of the front and rear fenders), and I could swear the code was FQ5.

Q5 for 1971 and 1972 were the same .

Judging by just the pictures I think it was repainted with the 1969 Q5 which was greener than the 71-72. Greener is what I'm seeing in the pictures comparing the exterior to the door and tailgate jambs.

What happened with the woodgrain paneling? It looks like they started at the front and along the course of a long journey they changed their mind on how wide the wanted the decal to be.

I don't have ocd but I can't stop looking at that kicker in the trim.

PP46K2D133801 must have been stunning when she was new and all the colors matched. I am more worried about what I see in the headliner (and the missing window trim) and the pitting of the dome light.

PS: The Dynoc also seems to have been replaced.

Maybe the car came from down south like Florida where it's humid with possibly some salt air. If I had to bet some money, I'd say it's rock solid under the paint. The jambs all look super clean and we can tell that they didn't do any paintwork in the jambs. When these wagons are rusty, one of the first places to go is the dog legs, and on this one all I see is a couple tiny spots of surface rust on the weld seam.
72 fury wagon 1.JPG

The strikers in the back are real clean too.
72 fury wagon 2.JPG

No question that the woodgrain has been replaced. Unfortunately it looks like a lower cost universal replacement, but I've seen much worse.

If the interior actually was real nice, I'd say the asking price was in the ballpark. If it wasn't for the cracked dash pad, it wouldn't cost a lot of money to get the interior looking nice again. Some vinyl dye would do wonders for all the discolored parts. Looks like the C pillar trim would have to be replaced along with the carpet and headliner. If you're not going for perfection, the deteriorating cargo compartment side panels can be stabilized and repainted to look decent again.

Jeff

the car lived in Florida before.
I saw it at the Garlits Show in 2011.
Guy had it just painted over the original paint.
He used the wrong "Q5" for 1972

Car needed a lot of work

Carsten

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back