Oil pump issues.

carguy300

Reaction score
Got my 68 300 running but no oil pressure. Pulled out sending unit and it was bone dry, I would think there should be some evidence of oil on the end. Pulled distributor and pump shaft, does the drive gear look ok. The pump is new and I had packed it with vasoline before I put it back on. It did sit for several months before I got to start it. Could it have lost its prime. I want to find one of the tools to use to prime it with drill motor. The distributor shaft is 1/8" longer than the old one, I dont think that would be an issue? Any ideas or suggestions I would love to hear. So close to getting this road ready, been a long 2 yrs! Thanks guys.

IMG_5075.jpeg

IMG_5074.jpeg

IMG_5073.jpeg

IMG_5076.jpeg

IMG_5077.jpeg

Your distributor/pump drive does not look right. Is it a two piece drive? Maybe it has collapsed and is turning in the shaft.
This what I am used to seeing. Might just be the angle of the photo or lighting.
1729809507687.png

No, thats what the whole shaft looks like, didnt take a pic of whole shaft. I am concerned about the wear marks on the hex edges.

Thats kinda what I was thinking. When I changed out the pump on my other 300, the drive hex didnt look quite that rounded!

IMHO, those are tooling marks on the hex. Not wear.

So, I'd say it's OK to use.... However... Changing to the style that has a radius where the hex meets the round is a good idea. The radiused version is stronger. Yes, I have seen them break. @Boyd 's pic shows one with a radius.
1729819261677.png

Concerning the no oil pressure, I'd try a priming shaft and spin the oil pump. Remember it has to turn counter clockwise and if you put some oil in the oil filter first, that will help. I like to turn the engine over once I get pressure.

Regarding the longer distributor, does it seat down all the way? Is the whole shaft longer or just the tang?

IMHO, those are tooling marks on the hex. Not wear.

So, I'd say it's OK to use.... However... Changing to the style that has a radius where the hex meets the round is a good idea. The radiused version is stronger. Yes, I have seen them break. @Boyd 's pic shows one with a radius.
View attachment 688632
Concerning the no oil pressure, I'd try a priming shaft and spin the oil pump. Remember it has to turn counter clockwise and if you put some oil in the oil filter first, that will help. I like to turn the engine over once I get pressure.

Regarding the longer distributor, does it seat down all the way? Is the whole shaft longer or just the tang?
I did notice the difference in the shaft ends. The distributor go all the way and seats ok, the whole shafts about 1/8 longer but all seems to go together ok. The motor ran ok but I shut it down pretty quick. I always do fill the filter with oil before I install it. I am going to hand prime it this time, I took out sending unit and have temp pressure gauge! Summit has that style shaft, I can drive to arlington tx, tomorow and pick one up. Thanks again.

If a SB the pump can be shifted just enough to not work, seriously.

Back