Old Chrysler Imperial Ads Sure Do Feel Sinister

Boydsdodge

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
A new story on Imperial ads of the 70s.
1726441921569.png

Hard to know what their aim was 50+ years ago, maybe they were marketed at well off divorced/single dads, hence the unhappy faces.

We have had mother taken away to nut house against her will, but we are still rich... Nothing will get in the way of your legacy in an Imperial.

Might the younger women be the grand-daughers of the females that are no longer alive? The younger ladies know full well of the legacy the Imperial (of their grand-father) will be their's to enjoy in a few years. Hence the serious looks.

Those Imperials handled better than the Lincolns usually associated with "families" back then. Seeing the Lincolns slide around corners on many tv shows back then, related to "family ties" and such.

Imperial was also a more-exclusive brand back then, as in the decades prior to that, due to its lower production levels. So, if you chose not to buy a more-common Cadillac or Lincoln, that stepped things up a notch or two.

When I looked at those ads back then, I just saw "exceeding well-off people" standing in front of a high-luxury car. In the way we defined "luxury" back then. No more, no less.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

1234.jpg

Was there more to this ad than what is printed across the top? Sort of seems incomplete.

I find it strange that it's only girls / daughters. No boys / sons. ?

In one respect, methinks many might be reading something into these ads that was not intended at the time they were published. Different sensitivities for different times. FWIW

Vehicles oriented more toward the "youth market" of the earlier 1960s usually had such people in the background having fun at the beach or similar. In the case of Imperial, that was not their target market, going for something more upscale and refined. Look at their print ads from the later 1950s, for example.

Cadillacs were marketed toward females with money. In one 1955 Cadillac print ad, the title is something like "A Lady and her Cadillac", with the ballroom gown-clad lady lying across the lh front corner of the hood, as if to hug the car, smiling like she is in love with it. Or a male and female couple were dressed up very nicely, arriving at a high-class restaurant or similar venue. Pontiacs usually had younger male and females, in more "youthful" and exciting places they were arriving at or leaving. Buicks also had male and female couples, but aiming more toward "young grand-parents" age, enjoying their freedom and financial well-being as they drove through the countryside in their Buick. Chevrolet was about "entry level mobility" for all kinds of people doing all kinds of things, smiling. Oldsmobile also headed toward "youthful actions" of middle-aged male and female couples, enjoying the life they had worked years to attain.

ALL the while claiming the particular brand of car was the buyer's best choice of automobile.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I think people today are probably seeing things that aren't there, or weren't meant to be in those ads, the many instances of child molestation made public has ingrained a suspicion on all males around minors. Next will be the female teachers, many cases of women teachers having 'relations' with young boys, some under the age of 10, is coming out just about every week.

I think it was about influencing the decisions men made. You have kids now instead of fast you can have luxury. You can be upscale. Don't listen to your wife, she is not in the picture. They definitely thought about those things it was their job and a whole world in itself.

I think the Marketing V.P. was a paedofile.
He satisfied his urges safely through publishing brochures.
Well I was... going to say we should start an ad thread with a caption contest...
But I may have not thought that thru.. didn't think about the big 3 hiring Hollywood ad firms.

Back