One thing or another.

furyus 67

Reaction score
Any thoughts on this one fellas? Bad tach,ignition..??? Has a small miss at about 3grand but nothing terrible. This ones got me stumped

Spray the distributor cap and wires when its dark at night. If you see sparks jumping everywhere you have a cracked cap or torn insulation. Also check the resistance of the wires, with a digital ohmmeter. Also check to see that the spark plug wiring is in the correct order, as per tge firing sequence. It is so important you check the simple things first, with that being said check to make sure the plug wires are fully seated in or on the spark plugs or the cap. Just start with checking the basics.

The car runs great. It's just under hard acceleration that the tach drops. No back fires or misses other than a slight studder above 3000 rpms. I've got a Chrysler ignition in it now. When my MSD was working this didn't happen. The actual rpms are climbing, the tach is dropping. Firing order is correct, wires are seated. I'll spray some water on it in a bit and report back.

Turn off that damn C&W and it will sound better...
Turn that volume on your computer up Stan!! That's was Bad company feel like makin looove!!! Won't catch much c&w coming from my speakers....maybe a lil cash, but that's about it!:p

Turn that volume on your computer up Stan!! That's was Bad company feel like makin looove!!! Won't catch much c&w coming from my speakers....maybe a lil cash, but that's about it!:p

I've seen the Grand Ole, Opry and I've met Johnny Cash. If that ain't country I'll kiss your ***.

Not yet. I did the water spray in the dist and wires , no arcs. I'm thinking it could be in the old Mopar hei ignition I put in. This didn't happen when I had the MSD hooked up.

You may want to add "I do not own the rights to the music in this video etc, etc." to your description so you don't get a copyright strike.

I knew even before you mentioned, that you were running the Chrysler electronic ignition. I had the exact same problem only at lower rpms. After rebuilding/rejetting the carb three times and replacing almost every other ignition part, it turned out to be the pick-up. Be sure when you get a new one you use a brass feeler gauge or plastic one to set the gap. Let us know what works.

Sorry for the lack of update. Works kinda been kickn ma ***. Still haven't made it out there to change anything. Hopefully this weekend.

Last edited:
Unhook the tach. If it is reading differently then what the engine is actually doing that can cause ignition problems. Believe it or not a bad tach can cause a no spark condition. I've seen it way too many times. Also if it is doing it only under a heavy load I would be suspect of the coil. Typically a coil will have issues under heavier loads where the ecu will have it issues through out the entire range under any load. Also make sure you have a solid ground from the battery to the engine. A weak main ground can cause these types of issues.

Unhook the tach. If it is reading differently then what the engine is actually doing that can cause ignition problems. Believe it or not a bad tach can cause a no spark condition. I've seen it way too many times. Also if it is doing it only under a heavy load I would be suspect of the coil. Typically a coil will have issues under heavier loads where the ecu will have it issues through out the entire range under any load. Also make sure you have a solid ground from the battery to the engine. A weak main ground can cause these types of issues.
I'll try this here in a bit. The only reason I haven't gon after the coil or tach is because the problem did t exist when my 6al was hooked up. I put an orange box on and it wouldn't rev over 3k without breaking up terribly so I put the old ecu back. Kind of a lesser of two evils I guess. At least the old one its drivable lol. Thanks for the input .

Oh yea, adding a ground wire to the mounting bolts on the ecu didn't have any effect. Other than sanding the paint off of the fire wall, is there a better way to ground the ecu?

Oh yea, adding a ground wire to the mounting bolts on the ecu didn't have any effect. Other than sanding the paint off of the fire wall, is there a better way to ground the ecu?
You can make a ground wire to go from the mounting bolt and go to the head.

Back