Plug gap

furyus 67

Reaction score
Hey gurus and car guys! I am currently running champion rj12yc gapped at .035, it seems to work well. Just wondering if I am on the right track or if there is a better plug/gap combo. I've got a 1972 413 with a stock rotating assembly, 284/484 Mopar performance purple cam, 906 heads , a weiand intake,edlebrock 650 carb and a digital MSD 6al. Any input will be appreciated!

Last edited:
I'm thinking(and please correct me if I'm wrong) because I have a fairly low compression ratio(7.5-1/8-1 I think) it's not going to be very picky. The champions worked well until they fouled out do to my carb not being adjusted.

What coil?

Stock coil I'd do no more than .045".

If you are running a good coil like an MSD Blaster or better, I'd try at least .060". On a fairly stock low compression engine, the bigger the spark the better the flame front which can equal better fuel economy and power (not necessarily at the same time).

Kevin

MSD blaster 2. Thanks Kevin I'll give it a try. I was running .035 for the initial fire up and seemed to work. It was a edumacted guess tho.

With the MSD you can widen the gaps out to .050-.060. I used to do .055 with a stock coil and my MSD6 in my A12. I called MSD a bunch of years ago and they recommended that gap. It worked well for me.

Back