Power Brake Booster disc or drum

Stormrider

Reaction score
I have a 68 sport fury that came with drum brakes all around. I put disc brake s on the front from a 71 New Yorker and was wondering if I need to change my brake power booster and master cylinder.

I do not have access to the donor car anymore and looking to see which booster would be needed to run disc front and drum rear.

Bendix dual diaphragm booster '68-'70 will fit your application. Some '71 production C-Bodies also use this booster as did some '71-'72 police cruisers and '71-'72 wagons with the heavy trailer tow package. Starting in '71 Mopar transitioned to a large diameter single diaphragm booster that is too big to fit your application, so be sure the unit is the Bendix dual diaphragm unit before you buy one. These units are no longer stocked at your local auto parts so you will need to find a donor car and have that unit rebuilt. Also be sure to install a disc brake proportioning valve as part of the conversion to balance the brake system.

Dave

Yes, disc booster. In my opinion, and the factory's, it's a must. That's why there's two different boosters for the two different systems. While the drum booster will bolt up and function (and there are some who will say it's just fine), it's only about 80% effective, and will let you down when you need it the most. Disc brakes take more boost to energize.

Look at it this way - do you want to stop 10 feet shorter and save that old lady/kid/dumbassontheirphone who walked out in front of you, or the 10 feet difference it takes from stopping short of smashing into the dump truck in front on the highway, or...

You get what I mean.

I swapped my brakes to disk and kept the original booster. Even though contrary arguments will follow, I've had not problems with it.

Thanks to all, I did use the proportioning valve from 71 New Yorker and have been running on the booster for drums currently on the car and now having issues years later , so if i have to replace it now it looks like I should go with the Bendix dual diaphragm booster '68-'70. I will need to look into what this dual booster looks like and possible part number. Thanks for your sharing your wisdom.

Drawing of the booster is attached, cluck on mail 0012 not the icon. Booster part number is 2883059. www.mymopar.com has the parts books and service manuals available for free download. In the Tools/Reference section from the home page.

Dave

Attachments

• Mail0012.PDF
    138.1 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Thanks Davea for the drawing, just read the article posted by welder guy and appears I can use other disc booster as well since I have a console shift. I dont know if that makes it easier to find or if parts store still carry the other one.

mopar-boosters.jpg

this image is getting kicked around a lot this past few weeks heh.

a single and a dual booster. both off 68 fury s.

as a guy that has actually driven around with disc brakes and a single booster for like 4 or 5 years now - yes it will work.

does the dual work better? yes it does.

a booster BOOSTS the foot pedal pressure. unhook your booster and see how hard it is to apply the brakes.

come on dudes we have had this argument for years now. its old like Russian collusion.

try not to die -

- saylor

Found some time to dig into this some more and found that what I currently have is a disc booster from a 1970 E body part number 3083698. See article below from the dodge challenger message board.

My question? Is this good enough or should I still seek a dual booster 2883059 bendix for the Fury.

From the Dodge Challenger messenger board
by christer » 10 Nov 2007 12:23
NOS power disc brake booster for a one year only 1970 E-body. Correct by application for the 340 340+6 383 440 440+6 Cuda and Challenger except the 426 HEMI. Part# stamped on the booster is 18268, right beside the penstar. Other stampings are Bendix, 8550 PAT NOS 3106873 3110031 3083698. In the one picture you can see the booster still retains the plastic dust boot and a stamped metal tag, where the master cylinder would be bolted on. The metal tag is stamped E9 272 C 8616.

7258_1_2a85_1.jpg
7260_1_29ad_1.jpg
7261_1_2945_1.jpg
7262_1_28d7_1.jpg

christer
Ghost 48

7258_1_2a85_1.jpg

7260_1_29ad_1.jpg

7261_1_2945_1.jpg

7262_1_28d7_1.jpg

7258_1_2a85_1.jpg

This unit won't work on a C-Body. That booster has a different mount pattern and is smaller that a C-Body booster. The activator linkage is also different, the C-Body style has a solid rod as opposed to the hinged unit on your booster. I would try to trade it for the correct unit, as challenger boosters are also in high demand.

Dave

If you have a console shift car, the later booster should work for you. With a column shift the booster will fit the car but the larger diameter interferes with the shift linkage. Console shift doesn't have that problem.

You should be able to get the later style at Rockauto or wherever you buy parts. You will likely have to eat the core charge if you can't find a used one somewhere but it shouldn't be much.

Kevin

Thanks Davea, its still on the car, I wonder which one of the Disney charateres did this. :lol:
I hope they did not drill new holes

Sounds like a good plan trade or buy and sell

Thanks Davea, its still on the car, I wonder which one of the Disney charateres did this. :lol:
I hope they did not drill new holes

Sounds like a good plan trade or buy and sell

The correct booster for your fury is a Bendix dual diaphragm booster from a '68-70 C-Body, except Imperial. The Bendix booster also appeared on some specialty applications in '71-72 such as police cruisers and vehicles with the heavy tow package. Some of the '71 C-Bodies also had the dual diaphragm booster. You might want to try www.boosterdeweyexchange.com as they would probably do that swap at minimal cost.

Dave

I was reading 65 Fury disc brake conversion advice and they mention needing different brake pedals, I cant find any different part numbers for 1968 but there are for 1970. Are the pedals on a 1968 Fury different for a power brake disc vs power drum ?

First off, the booster used on the '65-'67 cars is a different Bendix booster, about the same design but with a different mount flange. If your car had power brakes to begin with and you are just converting to discs, the pedals in '68 should be the same. If the car had manual brakes and you are upgrading to either type of power brakes, the pedals are different. The pivot point is different on manual vs power to get the need leverage operate the manual brakes.

Dave

Pedal set is the same for power disc and power drum 65-68. 69 and part of 70 use the same boosters as 65 - 68 disc and drum systems used, but I am not sure about the pedals...

Stormrider:

'65 Bendix dual diaphragm unit is part #2530048
'68 Bendix dual diaphragm unit is #2883059

You can download the factory parts manuals for free at www.mymopar.com. Manuals are in the Tools/reference section

Dave

Thanks for the response and knowledge I did download some info from mymopar, good stuff.
1970 parts manual had pedal part numbers for different setups and I did not see that for the 1968 or not as detailed so I asked the pros, you guys are the best, Thanks

Hey guys, the deeper I get into this car the more questions i have. i got this 68 fury it has the 1970 bendix E body bendix booster show above on it. I replaced the front drums with 1971 rotors from a New Yorker a while back they seemed to work ok. Now the front bowl on the master cylinder that goes to the front discs is empty, that I can fiqure out, but since the previous owner put on this booster I'm wondering if the brake pedal is correct. Fender tag does not seem to have power brakes from what I can tell and I want get it put together correctly. thanks to you guys I can now look for the correct booster but my brake pedal is now in question. I have attached photos of the tag and brake pedal I hope they are clear enough. If anyone can make them out and advise i would be grateful.
O-UFA-~1.JPG
NP7RV2~1.JPG
Z0XNYO~1.JPG
NWNYK1~1.JPG
SFTTH9~1.JPG

8OHC-P~1.JPG

Back