power steering pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

69` c barge

Reaction score
Contact seller
Hi, All I have a 69`300 but can`t find a
power steering pump to replace the one I have my local auto part store rebuild it and it works but the pully is not straight so it waddels at idle . do I take it and have it rebuild again or find another one.

Buy/rent/steal/beg/ or borrow a PS pulley puller (?), and reinstall the pulley correctly yourself.

AAP and AZ has a loaner tool program. Deposit reimbursed when you return the tool. I hope your pulley isn't bent.

If you're pulley is bent.......try this place.

http://www.bpeusa.com/BPEPowerSteering.asp

PSbrackets.jpg

PSpulleys.jpg

polara71 said:
buy a pump from a yard and swap the pulley if the pump is no good
What yard can you walk into and think you're going to walk out of with a pump to fit a '69? Unless you're talking Wildcat or Murray. And they ain't cheap especially after shipping.

Posted via Topify using Android

I agree that the pulley is probably bent. There is no way to install it crooked on the shaft. I would complain to the rebuilders. They are supposed to press only on the hub of the pulley. Indeed, most have an internally threaded shaft, so you use a bolt and nut to press the pulley on. I removed the pulley on my 65 Newport using a cheap pulley puller from Harbor Freight. It didn't have a threaded shaft (TRW pump), so I had to press the pulley back on with my shop press. 1969's were probably the Federal pump, which looks similar (round reservoir). The Saginaw pumps came later.

Last edited:
Then you have yourself a gem, You shouldn't be broadcasting their name all over the place.

Posted via Topify using Android

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back