Power steering question

68monaco

Reaction score
Question. I have replaced my power steering pump with a correct federal pump recently and I'm having difficulty with steering resistance in a parking lot situation. It has the original steering box, not sure if I'm getting some of that resistance from it or not. High pressure line is also new. Is there a gauge for these to check pressure and if so what is the proper pressures? I have ordered a thinner fluid for racing applications to see if what I'm using, first ATF then Prestone, might be a little to thick.

The FSM details how to set up pressure gauges to check pressures with. I believe the pressure valve in the rear of the pump's input fitting is where the pressure regulation happens. Possibly @Big_John might have some input on this?

Same pulley size as before?

Chrysler/GM power steering fluid seems a bit high-viscosity than atf to me. Lighter viscosity fluid will probably not really affect pressures that much, I suspect. NO atf!

CBODY67

The person that I bought the pump from said to use ATF, so I wanted to stay in there guidelines in case of a warranty issue. I did some further research on different Chrysler forums about the fluid and more than once Prestone was recommended. Pulley size has not changed. I had this issue on a 66 Polara I had and went to a lighter race fluid and it did go away. Not sure if thats a bandaid to a bigger issue. What does FSM stand for?

The person that I bought the pump from said to use ATF, so I wanted to stay in there guidelines in case of a warranty issue. I did some further research on different Chrysler forums about the fluid and more than once Prestone was recommended. Pulley size has not changed. I had this issue on a 66 Polara I had and went to a lighter race fluid and it did go away. Not sure if thats a bandaid to a bigger issue. What does FSM stand for?
It's been my experience that every car that I see dripping power steering fluid is dripping red. In other words, dripping ATF.

Yea, ATF is hydraulic oil, but it has other compounds in it for trans clutches and the like. Chrysler is pretty specific in their FSM (factory service manual) about using power steering fluid and not ATF.

Question. I have replaced my power steering pump with a correct federal pump recently and I'm having difficulty with steering resistance in a parking lot situation. It has the original steering box, not sure if I'm getting some of that resistance from it or not. High pressure line is also new. Is there a gauge for these to check pressure and if so what is the proper pressures? I have ordered a thinner fluid for racing applications to see if what I'm using, first ATF then Prestone, might be a little to thick.
You probably have air in the system. Here's something on the subject. Suggestions for Filling Your Power Steering System — Powersteering.com

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a small leak in the return hose that allowed air to get in. Drove me nuts, but it's a really short drive.

You haven't said what car or power steering pump it has, but I'll assume that it's a '68 Monaco and you have a Federal pump, so you have to adjust it correctly. A slipping belt will also cause the problems you have.

Thanks you for your input. I did mention in my first post question that it is a federal pump. No worries, I appreciate all the help. It is no longer leaking but I still have the hardness while in a parking lot. I'm sure I adjusted the pump tension correctly but I will do it again just to make sure.

Back