Power Steering

Reaction score
I have searched the forums and could not find an answer, sooo.. the 65 Fury i bought has a single cyl master cyl, that I can live with but Power Steering would be nice to add. With Carlisle coming up I am making a list of stuff I want to look for, Is it possiable to put Power steering on this car and if I can what do I need to buy? I have 0 experance with power steering but if I saw a set up and had the parts I could figure it out i hope

You'll need a steering gear, complete power steering pump, pulley, mounting brackets, belt, hoses. A couple of choices, go to the junk yard to get brackets and the other parts. Maybe easier to get everything from a donor car. I would get new hoses and a belt. It's not a hard job.

thank you sir, will hit Bachman's in the morning and what they dont have will look for at Carlisle, I agree, NEW hoses

Make sure that you take detailed pictures of the donor car so you know where everything mounts to and where all the bolts go.

If you haven't yet.....I would start looking for a service manual and parts book. They are plentiful and reasonably priced and can be easily bought on EBay. Probably a little pricey at Carlisle. Those books will make life a lot easier.

Make sure that you take detailed pictures of the donor car so you know where everything mounts to and where all the bolts go.

If you haven't yet.....I would start looking for a service manual and parts book. They are plentiful and reasonably priced and can be easily bought on EBay. Probably a little pricey at Carlisle. Those books will make life a lot easier.

gonna have to concur with Bob here Johnnie

You need a new gear box (different ratio), pitman arm, and idler arm. Sometimes the steering knuckles are different, too.

< Sent from my tablet >

Last edited:
The steering gear is the same as all A, B, & E bodies, except 62-72 A-bodies (what they call "small sector shaft"). However, the spool valve on top has different fittings. My 65 A & C bodies have/had the same fittings. However, what really matters is matching the pump (or hoses). Indeed, my 65 Dart now has a later valve body since I had to match the later Federal pump I got, which was required to match the later small block water pump I decided to use to match the later radiator which was the only one I could get at the time. Nothing is simple when you start fooling with engine accessories. In 65, all bodies used the TRW pump. It looks like the later Federal pump, since both had the same round reservoir, but the rear bolts vary, so brackets don't interchange. Also, the TRW has an inverted flare port and large return tube while the Federal has an O-ring port and small return tube. I don't know about Saginaw (oblong reservoir) fittings. Anyway, you can use any combination as long as the pump fits the engine and pulleys and you can connect the hoses, though none of that is trivial, so best to stay 1965 style. Bouchillon and others sell brackets. Pulleys will be another learning experience. There seems to have been a bunch of setups, depending on pwr steering, AC, and varying year-year, and I have never seen info that documents them. Copy others and expect to buy some parts that don't work.

Another kink is that you will need a shorter steering column rod, at least that is true in A-body world. Indeed, people there will pay to trade columns since more want to change to manual steering to install a big block engine and/or headers. Those drag racing fools. When going to manual steering, they can use an adapter to makeup the missing length, but of course the reverse is not true.

Last edited:
The steering gear is the same as all A, B, & E bodies, except 62-72 A-bodies (what they call "small sector shaft"). However, the spool valve on top has different fittings. My 65 A & C bodies have/had the same fittings - flare for high pressure, large hose fitting for return. However, what matters is matching the pump (or hoses). Indeed, my 65 Dart now has a later valve body since I had to match the later Federal pump I got, which was required to match the later small block water pump I decided to use to match the later radiator which was the only one I could get. Is that simple? In 65, all bodies used a TRW pump. It looks like the later Federal pump, in that both had the same round reservoir, but the rear bolts vary, so the brackets don't interchange. Also, the TRW has an inverted flare port and large return tube while the Federal has an O-ring port and small return tube. I don't know about Saginaw pump fittings (oblong reservoir). Anyway, you can use any combination as long as the pump fits the engine and pulleys and you can connect the hoses.

Another kink is that you will need a shorter steering column rod. At least that is true in A-body world. Indeed, there people will pay you to trade columns since more there want to change to manual steering to install a big block engine and/or headers. Drag racing fools. They can also buy adapters to makeup the missing length, but the reverse is not true. But you will be happy to know that the Pitman arm is the same between power and manual.

after driving it for a bit Bill, I am not putting power steering on it, It is just fine the way it was born!!!, I have a 13 Challenger Rallye Redline and it is a dog compared to the Fury, my cousin was curious if the radio worked (he wondered if it was tubes or solid state). my response was WHO CARES, this car is an absolute beast. Thanks for the input though

. .. I had a 68 cougar that was P/S but it was all broke and unhooked and stuff . . .that REALLY built up my forearms turning that thing...

. .. I had a 68 cougar that was P/S but it was all broke and unhooked and stuff . . .that REALLY built up my forearms turning that thing...
The factory used different steering ratio boxes for with and without PS cars. PS ratio w/o PS is a ballbuster!

< Sent from my tablet >

Back