Rag joint steering coupler

no go with Rick, but Atlas Obsolete has em, not cheap at $188 plus shipping. not many options unfortunatly

Is the U joint joint set up as smooth as stock to drive? or do you get more feel from the road? I had been thinking about the flaming river idea but thought it would be easier just to go stock as the original one has lasted 45 years so far, But I'm not worried about changing away from stock as long as it doesnt affect the way it drives in a negative way, and I not sure which joint I need to get.
Cheers

Mine looks like this but with cracks in it.
http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/images/BPE2119_Side_View_small.jpg

Last edited:
expensive but worth the $$$$

I replaced my old warn out rag joint with an OEM replacement. I performed the repair in conjunction with the steering gear box replacement so it was very simple to do with the steering column removed. I have included a picture of the old and new couplings. :eek:s_dancing2:

I paid about $100 for the new part which I felt was a bit high. :soapbox:I felt that it should have been about $20 but I am a notorious cheapskate. Still the sellers have us over a barrel since they know the OEM/direct bolt in convenience and appearance is very appealing. The improvement was immediately noticeable and overall worth the high price.

My 73' NCSHP Polara has a different setup than my gold civilain model. I noticed on another police packaged car that it too had the dual pot coupling setup. The rebuild price for these are a much more wallet friendly price of about $10-$30.

old and new rag joint replacement for the gold 73' Polara.jpg

73' NCSHP Polara pot style steering coupling.jpg

Best thing i've found with the Flaming River one is better clearance from the exhaust manifold,cant remember the part number off hand,bit i had to use a piece of the original shaft and grind 2 flats on it so it was a "double D" shape. I'll take a pic and post it asap.

The original coupler on my 65 Newport looks just like moonrunner1972's photo. The rubber split. That was pre-internet, so I went to a nearby rubber shop (Atlanta Gasket, I recall) with a drawing of what I needed. They cut a disk out of thick rubber w/ reinforcing, similar to tire material, and punched holes per my drawing, ~$10. Has worked fine for 16 yrs. I have seen similar "steering disk" repair kits in the HELP line at auto parts since then, though not sure identical. You can't see the disc in my car since under a metal heat shield. Insure you run a jumper wire across the rubber or your horn won't work.

Hello Moonrunner1972, I am looking to change out my steering gear in my 1968 300. Do you have to have the column out to do it?

To replace the steering gear box in my 1973 Polara the FSM recommends that you remove the steering column. I suggest you consult your respective FSM to be sure. Best of luck :)

Back