Rattle from engine fan/front pulley area 1969 Fury 318 w/ AC

Stuka_Mensch

Reaction score
Was driving my 1969 fury home wheb this awful rattle/scrape started. It does it pretty much constant and fluctuates with rpms. It sounds like its coming from the front pulley/engine fan area. It'll stop very rarely.

It's a 69 318 with factory air. This happens without the AC / blower on. When that turns on the scraping/screeching is super loud.

See link for video/sound.

Thank you all in advance!

1000011430.jpg

Last edited:
Water pump bearing? If you grab the fan with the engine off and shake it will it move? Any signs of any coolant leaking in that area?

Water pump bearing? If you grab the fan with the engine off and shake it will it move? Any signs of any coolant leaking in that area?
Fans and pulleys all seem tight. It sounds like its coming from the new alternators side. I'll upload a new videi

Good Afternoon
Possible Alt bearing failure.
Loosen drive belt spin alt pulley. Rough? Problem found.
Omni

Might be the alternator. Take the belt off and run the car to see if the sound goes away.

Obviously, don't run it very long, but a minute or two won't hurt.

Stupid question how do i get that belt off on the 318?
Loosen the bolts that attach the alternator to the bracket. You may need to remove other belts and then try to get them passed the fan. You should download a Chrysler factory service manual. My recall is that you can get the download from my Mopar.com

Back