Rear A/C for 1969 T&C Wagon - Dealer Ad on Option and Use of R290 Refrigerant

Sport Fury 67

Reaction score
While working on my 1969 wagon with rear a/c, I noted that the dash did not have a panel switch for off/low/high for the rear fans. The positive feed leads for the rear blower motors were connected directly to the rear tabs for the fan control switch above the push button controls. Also, when I pulled the rear seat and obtained the build sheet, there is a code "51" for a Heat - A/C car, but nothing indicating rear air.

Question - Back in the day could a dealer install rear A/C in a wagon if the seller requested it added?

I am deciding on how to resurrect the A/C based on the current state of the System - wagon has over 100K miles. With what I have read about the recent changes for R134A, and acknowledge the compressor most likely will need to be re-build, along with a new dryer and replacing the front evaporator core, would I be better off crimping- sealing the lines to the rear A/C and use R-12 with the "standard' Heat- A/C under dash components, or, use the newer Butane-Propane R290?

My concern about the rear AC is there are feed lines, hoses, fittings, components located behind aged plastic panels that most likely will fall apart and will require replacement with parts that need to be custom made.

It is not anticipated the future use of the wagon will be full of people driving through the desert and I want to keep it simple. Its a nice wagon but not a trailer queen. Just want it to functional and reliable for a couple of years.

Comments or any experiences with R290 refrigerants and rear A/C system would be appreciated.

Check out the @TxDon thread on upgrading his '66 Monaco wagon to a Sanden and related parts. It was a factory dual a/c car.

Only factory add-on systems were for just the front system, not adding the dual system to an existing factory a/c car.

As for the fan motor, check the factory service manual wiring schematics for verification of what was what, back then. Perhaps @Ross Wooldridge, who had a factory dual a/c car might have some input?

You will still be cooling the huge expanse of area behind the driver's seat in the wagon, much less all of the rear glass area's heat load, too.

A bad thing about the use of (for the time) high-tech plastic for interior panels is that with age, the plastic will shrink and crack (of its own accord), if not just "go thin". The plus side is that many of those cracked panels can be glued back together and recovered with stretchable vinyl . . . possibly. If not carefully glued and re-colored. Might make more work to do that, but not impossible.

I saw a Scotty Kilmer video on R52 being used to replace the much more expensive R1234yf gas in a late-model Honda car. A close cousin that apparently works.

Even from the earlier days of R-134a avoidance, there have been some "hybrid" gasses that included butane, if not pure butane itself. No experience with that, but possibly others have?

CBODY67

My experience with ‘rear’ air comes from non-Mopar equipment.
I had a 95 GMC Suburban with rear air and heat. It always took a while for it to become noticeable, due to the longer hoses, I suspect.

Secondly, I currently own and operate a 38’ RV that has an engine driven dash a/c unit that uses R-134a.
It too, takes a while for it to develop cold air (and heat), due to the long hoses.

My advice is to inspect and ensure that you have a near perfect charge if you’re going to use R-134a. I would also recommend using a scroll compressor (Sanden) as they are more efficient and effective.

I am sure others will chime in.

Back