rear end for a 66 300

john bond

Reaction score
I am looking at upgrading the rear end on my 66 300. I am wanting something that will have disc brakes and posi traction. I have a 8 3/4 right now, any suggestions?

The 8 3/4 is a good diff, you can upgrade to a sure grip and the aftermarket has rear disc brake kits.

I am looking at upgrading the rear end on my 66 300. I am wanting something that will have disc brakes and posi traction. I have a 8 3/4 right now, any suggestions?

What are you planning to do with the car? Unless yer gonna race it, the expense required for a SureGrip upgrade is really not necessary - unless you just want to brag about it. . . Another thing regarding the brakes: a rear disc brake upgrade is also an expensive change that may not be worthwhile. An upgrade to FRONT disc brakes, however, is definitely worthwhile. The brake parts from a 69 to 73 Chrysler C-Body make this change almost an easy bolt-on effort. There is a lot of info available here at FCBO about that upgrade.

Oh! And welcome to FCBO. You got any pictures and / or other info about your '66 300?

What are you planning to do with the car? Unless yer gonna race it, the expense required for a SureGrip upgrade is really not necessary - unless you just want to brag about it. . . Another thing regarding the brakes: a rear disc brake upgrade is also an expensive change that may not be worthwhile. An upgrade to FRONT disc brakes, however, is definitely worthwhile. The brake parts from a 69 to 73 Chrysler C-Body make this change almost an easy bolt-on effort. There is a lot of info available here at FCBO about that upgrade.

Oh! And welcome to FCBO. You got any pictures and / or other info about your '66 300?
I have a 66 Sport Fury Convertible. I also installed the complete "4 Wheel Disc conversion". The Fronts I went with the 73 Chrysler spindles, rotors and Calipers, etc., The assemblies bolt right in to the ball joints and tie rods, extremely easily. The rears I went with the 1972 Imperial Rear Disc's set up. That was a hard one to find, very, very hard to find. I wanted to stay all "Chrysler", plus I had more time than sense. It took me a year to find them. The Imperial rear end is not an 8.75 but the larger 9.25 (??). I used my stock 8.75 and the backing plates and disc's bolted right on, with no modifications. Yes, no mods, surprised me too! Reused my stock rebuilt emergency brake cables from my 66. If you try and use the Chrysler Imperial set up, be advised the Rotors are no longer available, so use "GOOD" originals. Calipers are easily available. Also, the installation has one side forward and the other side facing aft for the calipers. So when buying rebuilt units you will buy two of the same calipers, I don't recall if they were both Rights or lefts. Anyway, the front discs are essential for stopping and the rears, to my mind are also mandatory for your car. Along with the four wheel disc's, consider a Rear sway bar, they are available new. They will improve the handing more than you can imagine!!! They are extremely rare to find at the auto wreckers. Good luck with your adventures.

1966 Chrysler 300 here is where I just posted pics

I have a 66 Sport Fury Convertible. I also installed the complete "4 Wheel Disc conversion". The Fronts I went with the 73 Chrysler spindles, rotors and Calipers, etc., The assemblies bolt right in to the ball joints and tie rods, extremely easily. The rears I went with the 1972 Imperial Rear Disc's set up. That was a hard one to find, very, very hard to find. I wanted to stay all "Chrysler", plus I had more time than sense. It took me a year to find them. The Imperial rear end is not an 8.75 but the larger 9.25 (??). I used my stock 8.75 and the backing plates and disc's bolted right on, with no modifications. Yes, no mods, surprised me too! Reused my stock rebuilt emergency brake cables from my 66. If you try and use the Chrysler Imperial set up, be advised the Rotors are no longer available, so use "GOOD" originals. Calipers are easily available. Also, the installation has one side forward and the other side facing aft for the calipers. So when buying rebuilt units you will buy two of the same calipers, I don't recall if they were both Rights or lefts. Anyway, the front discs are essential for stopping and the rears, to my mind are also mandatory for your car. Along with the four wheel disc's, consider a Rear sway bar, they are available new. They will improve the handing more than you can imagine!!! They are extremely rare to find at the auto wreckers. Good luck with your adventures.
where do you find the rear sway bar?

I am wanting something that will have disc brakes and posi traction.

What's posi-traction? I didn't know Mopars had that, when did they start that? I have installed disc's on mine with no problem, my rear is just fine.

Last edited:
This I were I bought my sway bar.
Firmfeel Mopar Suspension and Steering

I would highly recommend it, big change in the handling. There's $100 rear sway bar out there it won't fit our 66 trust me I have one new in my shop that I never returned.

Updated, correct link now
I too purchased my sway bar from Firmfeel for my 66 Sport Fury Convertible. They are remarkable on the increase in handling. I recommend them ""HIGHLY"". Gooood Luck!#!

What's posi-traction? I didn't know Mopars had that, when did they start that? I have installed disc's on mine with no problem, my rear is just fine.
Neophyte MoPar owners coming from the wretched Gutter Mechanics Corp paradigm oft drag in GMC notions like positraction. We need to enlighten them to Sure Grip, which is the superior Ma Par implementation of the same idea. Ford called theirs Equa-Lock. Sure Grip 3rd members can be had nowadaze for ~ $300 starting.....

Back